Help on planning

Danny68

Me and swmbo are at an impasse on submitting our planning application. We originally had pre planning  advice from the planners that was reasonably sympathetic but ultimately  recommended that they would not approve our plans. Forward 1 year 3 design changes 3 animated videos lots of tooing and throwing with our Upwork Serbian architect .

The problem I have is my  wife wants to be belt and braces with everything detail to satisfy the planners , this includes design detail for making it disabled friendly/ compliant . Having read posts on here regarding planning  applications,  I'm led to believe that its a bit of it and miss with regard to content the planning department require for the application. One issue  pointed out is we are now applying for a 1 and 1/2 story design but on the plans drawn we are not happy with the ceiling height , my solution is we'll alter it when we e get building drawings done ( we don't plan to increase the building higher just raise the floor ) where as my wife believes we need to have every detail nailed down before  we submit . Can anyone who's been through  planning  shed some light please . 

If your architect is knowledgeable in Planning and engaged to get it through planning, I would perhaps back off and let them run it. So you hopefully swerve the whole domestic tussle. If that will work.

Though a different floor height may affect windows which may affect planning.

In general, planning are interested in stuff that affects other people rather than what colour your taps are. Relatively little internal affects other people, beyond things inside that define penetrations eg windows and flues etc, stuff that defines appearance etc.

F

Thank you ferdinand , crossed wires our architect that we used was on the upwork platform, the floor alterations I can get changed ,we are very much winging it atm  my wife is under the impression that everything has to be perfect 

Put in a Homer Simpson video by mistake.

More seriously, perhaps find an outside authority to define what you need for PP.

Maybe there is an instructional video somewhere.

One source is to look at a few other PPs for individual houses on your Council website and see how extensive the document set isn't, and also perhaps how the design evolved.

Somebody on here did a very few pages, with self-drawn hard copy plans.

• Thanks 1

Ceiling height = not important

Ridge height = important

In all seriousness this type of thing is why you want to use someone who understands the planning system to submit your planning application if you don't - what you are in danger of doing is getting your cheap designer to spend way more time than is necessary to get the planning submitted and validated and running up the same fees as if you'd used someone with local expertise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Find out which planning officer will be dealing with your application. Find out where he drinks. Hooker, Coke, Couple of photos. He will pass anything. Saves a lot of hassle.

Thought I recognised the fold down bed in the photos!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Danny68 said:

The problem I have is my  wife wants to be belt and braces with everything detail to satisfy the planners , this includes design detail for making it disabled friendly/ compliant . Having read posts on here regarding planning  applications,  I'm led to believe that its a bit of it and miss with regard to content the planning department require for the application. One issue  pointed out is we are now applying for a 1 and 1/2 story design but on the plans drawn we are not happy with the ceiling height , my solution is we'll alter it when we e get building drawings done ( we don't plan to increase the building higher just raise the floor ) where as my wife believes we need to have every detail nailed down before  we submit . Can anyone who's been through  planning  shed some light please . 

Most planning departments only care about location, overall size, appearance, road safety, and sustainability.  The latter isn't to do with green policies, its about public services, they want to know you won't increase pressures on public services (schools, doctors, transport). So it might be harder to get permission if the local school is full even if you dont have kids.

In some cases they get concerned about traffic, car parking, climate change, affordable housing and/or the loss of open spaces/availability of playgrounds.

A few councils might have a policy on the provision of houses suitable for disabled people but this is normally an issue for Building Control regulations. If they have a policy its more likely to apply to larger developments like housing estates. 

They dont care about interior details such as ceiling heights, size of rooms etc.

In most cases being virtuous with your design wont out way other planning issues. For example offering to make it a passive low energy house won't make an ugly house on a dangerous bend acceptable.

Providing too much detail can bite you later. If a dimension isn't specified very accurately they can't complain if you make the house a few inches bigger by accident. If the planners want a particular type of window they will make it a planning condition. No need to tie yourself down by specifying a particu type now.

• Thanks 1