Path/Garden edging

Russdl

I need to separate a path from a thin strip of garden. The path is level, the strip of garden starts about 4" below the path and slopes down to end about 8" below the path. The thin strip needs to slope down to follow the line of a fence.

Whats the best way to separate the path from the garden to ensure they stay that way? I was thinking of 12" gravel boards concreted in. Any better ideas? 

Edited by Russdl

@joe90 the plan is to finish the path in 20mm Cotswold stone, its just compacted type 1 at the mo.

The garden strip is a long thin triangle going from the apex that is nothing wide and 4" below the path to about 3' wide about 8" below the path (all approximate)

9 minutes ago, Russdl said:

The garden strip is a long thin triangle going from the apex that is nothing wide and 4" below the path to about 3' wide about 8" below the path (all approximate)

Can you not grade the garden triangle so it’s a constant 4” below the path where it meets the path.

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

150 x8 mild steel comes in 6m lengths

I really like metal path edges (good enough at national trust properties etc).

is the garden triangle lawn or planting?

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Can you not grade the garden triangle so it’s a constant 4” below the path where it meets the path.

No, the other side is a fence that is going steadily downhill and I want to keep the garden below the gravel board tops.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

is the garden triangle lawn or planting?

Rubble at the moment but it'll probably end up planting.

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I really like metal path edges (good enough at national trust properties etc).

That would be where I'd seen it before. Never thought of that, never remembered that I'd ever seen it until Russell mentioned it. This place can be really brilliant at times.

Most times

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russdl said:

No, the other side is a fence that is going steadily downhill and I want to keep the garden below the gravel board tops.

Don’t think I explained that very well,  the “border” does not have to be flat across its width, at the widest point a slope of 4” over 36” is not a lot, parts of my garden slopes more than that. P.S. I am making steel circles in my lawn to plant trees in (like NT gardens).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

the “border” does not have to be flat across its width

You're right of course, it could grade down towards the gravel boards, I guess I was concerned about the level slowly creeping up over the years and covering the gravel boards if I were to do that.

So a 6m 150x8mm mild steel sheet it is I reckon, in fact 6mm as no vehicles will get near.

Thanks both ?

• Thanks 1

@Russdl Do you have a welder? Good way to hold the edging is short lengths of rebar driven into the ground the side with the highest finish, below the top, every couple of feet and tack weld the sheet to it. It ain’t going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Russdl said:

No, long gone. I see where you’re going with that though. 

OT: So what will you do when a roof tile cracks ?.?

I try to have a couple in an exposed location so that they will vaguely colour match for replacements people can see. An option to get a few now, depending on relative cost, and use the rest for the edging if suitable?

11 hours ago, Russdl said:

I was concerned about the level slowly creeping up over the years

Ground cover plants are good at holding earth on a slope. ?

thinking about this, I remember years ago being told that black mild steel is best fir this application, should be cheaper than drawn mild steel and is used by major gardens such as National trust, RHS.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Russdl said:

@Russell griffiths what a great idea!

150mm will not be wide enough, I guess I could get 300mm wide. Or to 150mm's welded together... 

Great idea.

Take a gold star.

Do you mean deep enough, as in you have more than a 150mm step. 

Re read original post. 

300 x6 mm steel

16mm re bar smashed in the ground as stakes, stickwelder and you will have a path for life. 

If you haven’t got a welder then get the re bar and weld flat tags on them, smash them in the ground and drill through and nut and bolt. 

Edited by Russell griffiths