Extractor hood

Hey all

So how do you deal with this and MVHR?. Because in theory (and I suspect practise) the MVHR could spread cooking smells throughout the house; yes?

I presume you do not want MVHR vent above hob/hood?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Edited by pocster
Monday; can't type correctly

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey all

So how do you deal with this and MVHR?. Because in theory (and I suspect practise) the MVHR could spread cooking smells throughout the house; yes?

I presume you do not want MVHR vent above hob/hood?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

It's always a bit of a challenge!

The MVHR cannot recirculate cooking smells though, as it only ever delivers fresh air from outside to the rooms in the house with air feeds, so the cooking smells still go outside via the extract side of the system (fresh air in and extract air out are kept separate in MVHR). 

You can't easily plumb a hood in, because there's a risk that oils and fats will clog the ducts, filter and heat exchanger on the extract side of the MVHR, plus the hood extract rate will over-power the MVHR and cause it to run out of balance (more air being sucked out than is sucked in). 

The simple fix is to use a recirculating cooker hood, one with decent filtration, and allow the kitchen MVHR extract (which is the highest extract rate of all of them) to remove the remaining smells.  if need be, you can add a boost button in the kitchen to increase the MVHR fan speeds on demand, as you might in a shower or bath room.

Thanks guys.

What about one of the new hobs; where the extraction is built in and at hob level???

Or does it not make any difference? i.e. any extractor must be a filter type rather than vented type?

Edited by pocster

Not sure, TBH.  They were outside our budget range when we were looking, plus SWMBO had already decided on the induction hob.  There's one model that we could have fitted in our island (where the hob is) that sucks down, filters and then blows out at a lower level.  Still expensive, I think, and hard to retrofit if you have stone work tops, I should imagine.

48 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah this is the type I mean.

I guess Im thinking it could still create an air imbalance for the MVHR; but does that matter just for an hour of cooking?

Cheers

No, it won't cause any issues at with the MVHR, as it's not changing the air flow at all.  They suck from surface level to remove cooking smells, vapour etc, filter the air then blow it back out into the kitchen, with the smells and vapours etc mostly removed.  Most use a mixture of washable filters to trap oil and fat vapour, plus an activated carbon filter to remove most of the smells.  The manufacturers would like you to always fit new filters, but on the conventional recirculating hood we have in our old house I found that the two filtration units were easy to clean/rejuvenate.  The mesh oil and fat filter cleaned up well by just sticking it in the dishwasher and the activated carbon filter was just carbon granules between two bits of stainless mesh.  I found that it was dead easy to take one of the mesh sides off and bought a big bag of activated charcoal  granules very cheaply (the stuff is used in pond filters).  empting the carbon out and filling the filter with fresh stuff was clean and easy to do, and a fraction of the price of replacing the filters.  I still have a bag of activated carbon I bought several years ago, left over.

• Like 2

Bear in mind that bathroom extractors don't have air being continuously extracted through them 24/7.  90+% of that time the air is not damp, so there's plenty of opportunity for any condensation to dry out.

24 minutes ago, jack said:

Bear in mind that bathroom extractors don't have air being continuously extracted through them 24/7.  90+% of that time the air is not damp, so there's plenty of opportunity for any condensation to dry out.

This one did. It was an expensive fan that runs constantly and supposedly adjusts depending on the humidity. You see my concerns for this issue with MVHR.

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

This one did. It was an expensive fan that runs constantly and supposedly adjusts depending on the humidity. You see my concerns for this issue with MVHR.

Maybe, but MVHR is a different proposition.  The lowest level of extraction should be more than enough to dry out the ducts between steamy situations (oo er missus).

You can't extract air with a cooker hood in a house with MVHR.  You still need a recirculating hood though because this will remove the vast bulk of oil and particulates in its filters.  The de-greased air will then be removed by the normal MVHR extract duct(s) in the kitchen.  

• Like 1