Screed is too high!

Mandana

Jeez, my worst nightmare. I was literally losing sleep over the FFL a few months back and now the screed has been poured (as week ago tomorrow) one of our doors only just clears it, and the front door doesn’t have enough clearance for the flooring. 

I’ve messaged the builder but he’s on their Christmas break so he might not pick up his messages. 

Has this happened to anyone else??

With mine all doorways were left a little high and frames not put in till even the  tiling etc was done. When the company poured our liquid screen he put down lots of little metal “Eiffel towers” that were adjustable to give exactly the depth we wanted. ? it’s all down to planning IMO.

Things we need to know -

1. Is it screed or concrete? Concrete can be ground down, screed probably has to be removed.

2. Are there UFH pipes in it? This will make removing it a lot harder.

If it is screed the faster it is removed the easier it will be. You need to get the guy on the phone. This will be a lot harder to fix after new year.

2 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Or you could just take a bit off the bottom of the doors that don't fit and with the front door you could leave the 1m area near the door for a mat well and just fit a low profile mat with a profile up to your floor.

If you can do this it would be nice and easy. I am assuming that this cannot be done, it would go down like a lead balloon with my wife.

Thanks for all your replies. 

The builder has come back and said the screed guy had already informed him about it and said he’ll grind it down and that everything will be fine. 

To answer some of the questions ... 

We had to have a deeper pour of screed due to cambers in the beam and block. 

@TonyT the reason I was worried about it was because we’d not chosen the floor finish at the time when we were asked as they were installing the doors in the summer. I stressed a lot about it and for there to be an issue is, as I said before, my worst nightmare as it was the thing I stressed about the most! 

Can’t cut the doors down unfortunately. They’re aluclad triple glazed doors. 

@AliG it is cement based screed - Cemfloor by McGraphs. We do have UFH. 

Anyhow, can’t tell how relieved it will be sorted and also that it’s not going to cost us. 

1 hour ago, Mandana said:

Jeez, my worst nightmare. I was literally losing sleep over the FFL a few months back and now the screed has been poured (as week ago tomorrow) one of our doors only just clears it, and the front door doesn’t have enough clearance for the flooring. 

I’ve messaged the builder but he’s on their Christmas break so he might not pick up his messages. 

Has this happened to anyone else??

Yes!

Have a look at how much you can jack screw up the door hinges. I have just got an Origin system and was surprised at how much you can lift the door by using the adjustment on the hinges. 

Scraping the barrel, but you could reset the door frame just out of plumb so that as it opens it lifts like a rising hinge door. That is really rough! and not a professional approach. The door will then tend to swing shut.. but sometimes needs must. You may void the guarentee on the doors too.. but it's what you can live with... Mr Punter I think could well save the day if need be and  a much better idea than putting the door frame out of plumb.. it's how you sell it.

All the best.

46 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

What was/is you chosen floor finishing? 

If it was tiles, you could consider LVT which is much thinner. 

Sounds like its sorted now, but always an option if it still becomes an issue. 

That would be the answer, yes, but really not what we wanted. Nothing against LVT (we had Amtico in our last house) but really wanted these particular tiles. 

• Like 1