Adjusting a UPVC Door

Ferdinand

After 7 or 8 years, my front door needs an adjustment.

The symptom is that it no longer closes snugly, and bounces open again if closed gently with no hand on the handle. To shut it properly the handle ahs to be held in open position and the latch closed carefully. The latch can be made to shut with an almost slam + hold.

The only thing I have done recently has been to remove and reinsert the Euro-Barrel as I needed to check the dimensions.

Can any knowledgeable cove tell me what aspect of the door is likely to need adjusting? Do I need, for example, to tighten the door in towards the hinges.

Thanks

Ferdinand

I haven't tried adjusting anything yet ? .

Try one has been to spray some WD40 on the latch.

It looks as though it wasn't springing back out again when closing the door.

Cause may be that I disturbed some gunge when playing with the cylinder.

Will see after a day or two.

Potentially it may be worth cleaning it with a toothbrush.

F

One of my UPVC doors has started to do exactly the same thing. Not sure if it’s got anything to do with the temperature dropping - only say that as another of my doors drops slightly on a really hot day.

In the last couple of years the DraughtBusters have adjusted quite a fe upvc doors to realign the striker, some needed to be raised at the hinge side to lift the whole door. They do drop, warp and deform. 

a few needed adjustment of the latch plate and two needed replacement latch plate /keep

• Like 1

Just sorted mine, there is a screw missing in the central catch plate and the plate was at an angle. 

You may be lucky and find yours has moved also.

Pushed it square and it’s sorted. Can’t see the screw anywhere annoyingly so will have to rummage for a countersunk screw and cut it down to length - they are only tiny. 

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

In the last couple of years the DraughtBusters have adjusted quite a fe upvc doors to realign the striker, some needed to be raised at the hinge side to lift the whole door. They do drop, warp and deform. 

Where do you find a DraughtBuster? Sounds like something my door needs. I’ve fiddled with the striker / keeper but it only serves to make the door difficult to close. I can feel a draught when the wind gets up.