Brick Slips

My partner has come up with the controversial (i.e expensive) idea of turning our mound of ~15k clay bricks in to slips and cladding our entire house rather than rendering.

Has anybody done brick Slips on a large scale? Is it something an average DIYer could attempt our would you be calling in a pro slipper??!!

I'd prefer to lay full bricks around the house but I'm not sure we'd have enough... And I'm thinking fitting slips would be faster and cheaper?

(No, I've not yet addressed the challenge of turning a mound of Georgian clay bricks into 15mm slips...)

I think it will be hugely expensive and time consuming to do.  You will only get 2 slips from a brick.  You may need some headers as well if you want the bond to look authentic.  I think slips are easier to fix with one of the grid type systems to keep them in line.  After you have stuck them on you have the fun of pointing.

I would just use them whole on part of the house, use them to build a garage, or sell them to a reclamation yard.

If they are old Belfast bricks then contact Wilson's reclamation yard and see if they will take them off your hands. They will want good quality and clean though. Or post it on Facebook market place or if you have a Hollywood buy and sell page and see if you get a few bites. 

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

If they are old Belfast bricks then contact Wilson's reclamation yard and see if they will take them off your hands. They will want good quality and clean though. Or post it on Facebook market place or if you have a Hollywood buy and sell page and see if you get a few bites. 

Plan is to clean some up and use them where we can around the courtyard and garden. I've had some offers for the bricks as is but it's been pennies and not worth it. Think once we've used what we can, I'll either clean up the rest and sell by the pallet or if (more likely) I've no time see if one of the reclimation yards will talk them rough.