Tiling Floor

Pocster

Getting near to this point . So advice welcome .

Have a decoupling Mat to stick down first .

This is the bathroom entrance ; I’m standing in the hallway . Hallway tiles are different to bathroom tiles . My plan is once I actually have the door and frame to put an expansion strip under it to seperate the rooms . So will leave off the 1st bathroom floor tile as I can’t be 100% certain where door will be when closed I.e don’t want to see hallway tiles from bathroom or bathroom tiles from hallway with a closed door . This a sensible plan ?

Regarding floor tile placement- I assume I start with a whole tile in the middle I.e same distance between wall and shower tray as in the photo at the bathroom entrance . This equally sensible? ?

Final question . I’m going to have tile upstands at the base of the wall I.e the black floor tiles . If I cut each end of the black tile I’ll only get 2 upstands . But have the nice machined edge . If I cut the whole tile I’ll get 4 or 5 upstands but only 2 will have machined edge . Does that matter ? Unless one of you gits gets down on your hands and knees to look at the base tile ?

D9D42B91-DCE7-45BF-A90C-A0CF661BD586.jpeg

Edited by pocster

4 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

are they tiles or real marble ?

looks like marble in piccie 

How I can I tell ?

I remember crying in the tile shop at the phone number cost per metre .

Box just says ‘porcelain stoneware ‘ 

30 minutes ago, pocster said:

Regarding floor tile placement- I assume I start with a whole tile in the middle I.e same distance between wall and shower tray as in the photo at the bathroom entrance . This equally sensible? ?

or one floor tile dead in middle of door way ?

Iwould play about and see what going to look best and see how  cut bits at edge  are going to work out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

How I can I tell ?

I remember crying in the tile shop at the phone number cost per metre .

Box just says ‘porcelain stoneware ‘ 

then its not marble --just that you could have polished up cut edegs if they were marble

so when you cut them what colour is on the cut edge --maybe different than top ?

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

then its not marble --just that you could have polished up cut edegs if they were marble

so when you cut them what colour is on the cut edge --maybe different than top ?

I would guess so like most tiles . That’s what’s concerning me with using upstands from the middle of the tile . But then again once I grout perhaps not visible at all ??

If your not looking to tile in one hit 

A row of tiles down the centre will look better and make it easy to work middle to either edge once set 

Unfortunately you will have to wast the middles of the upstands  as they won’t have a glazed edge 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nod said:

If your not looking to tile in one hit 

A row of tiles down the centre will look better and make it easy to work middle to either edge once set 

Unfortunately you will have to wast the middles of the upstands  as they won’t have a glazed edge 

Yeah - it’s a good weeks work for me .

I’ll do as you say and I planned - whole tile path down middle of entrance then work left / right of that .

So definitely do not use middle of tiles for upstands ?? 

Edited by pocster

29 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah - it’s a good weeks work for me .

I’ll do as you say and I planned - whole tile path down middle of entrance then work left / right of that .

So definitely do not use middle of tiles for upstands ?? 

I’ve been helping a friend extend his house I advised him to do the same and it looks really professional 

Its so easy to drift with floor tiles 

Laying a row down the middle gives you a real solid base to kneel on But more importantly two parallel straight edges 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Your pic shows wall tiles but not down to the floor yet, why not tile the floor nearly up to wall then continue wall tiles down to them ?no need for upstand then ?

I’ve run out of wall tiles . Also I think the wall tiles as upstands would look wrong if I understand you correctly ...

6 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ve run out of wall tiles

Oops.

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Also I think the wall tiles as upstands would look wrong if I understand you correctly ...

not upstands,  just walls tiled down to floor!,!,! Done this plenty of times and looks good (but not if you have no more wall tiles.? )

How are you going to bring the upstands away from the wall without 15mm of adhesive?. Are the floor tiles thicker than the wall tiles?, If the gap between wall tiles and the floor is good/consistent why not have the black upstand flush with the wall tiles then no tile wasteage and looks like skirting without a ledge to collect muck?

22 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’ve run out of wall tiles . Also I think the wall tiles as upstands would look wrong if I understand you correctly ...

+1

Wall tiles would have looked like pi$$y little rips there. Cut floor tiles will look much better.

As Uncle Nick taught me:

Put an upside down tile on 1mm / credit card thick packs. To get your cut line etc.

20181015_193117

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oops.

not upstands,  just walls tiled down to floor!,!,! Done this plenty of times and looks good (but not if you have no more wall tiles.? )

How are you going to bring the upstands away from the wall without 15mm of adhesive?. Are the floor tiles thicker than the wall tiles?, If the gap between wall tiles and the floor is good/consistent why not have the black upstand flush with the wall tiles then no tile wasteage and looks like skirting without a ledge to collect muck?

Thought that's what he was doing?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oops.

Floor and wall tiles same thickness I think . You’ve lost me . Floor tile upstands flush with wall tiles - like skirting - won’t stick out .... ( in theory ! ) .

25 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oops.

Nah look crap because you’ll have 1 constant grout line above them I.e the staggered effect is lost . My general rule which I just made up is that a particular tile must be consistent in use . Have faith @joe90 !!