UPS

A rcd keeps tripping ( every few days ) . Only thing hanging off this are a ups ( which feeds my network server ) and ( not off the ups ) a poe router .

The UPS it would seem doesn’t have enough juice to keep the server alive - looks like it tripped around 8pm . Not on site - so would assume nothing apparent happened to cause this .

Though I don’t want the rcd tripping ; I’d also like the ups to last 12 hours .

So rcd to ups , ups to Nas 

Also feeds a router via a multi socket lead with surge protection .

Are any of those components likely to cause an issue ? . What ‘size’ UPS should I go for ? - overkill welcome !!

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What is the PSU on the server..? And what UPS is it ..? RCD trip could be due to the UPS switch power supply floating the battery voltage every few days as a maintenance cycle - how old is it ..?

Ups is only a few months old .

Will get details of psu etc . Later ?

Ups a flea bay purchase 

Powercool Smart UPS 1200VA - 3 x UK Plug, 3 x IEC, 2 x RJ45, USB, LED Display

nas is Synology ds1019+

Can paste the ups spec from eBay if need be .

Edited by pocster

36 minutes ago, pocster said:

Powercool Smart UPS 1200VA

https://cpc.farnell.com/powercool/1200va/ups-1200va-3x-13a-plug-rj45-3x/dp/CS25752?&mckv=sxWeea6ad_dt|pcrid|288268707748|kword|1200va|match|p|plid||slid||product||pgrid|46979450092|ptaid|kwd-6307168992|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SKU&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtqL-BRC0ARIsAF4K3WEWnFsgy3FZdYpxJeoWcWgYMZVymLUAOEAUYsjzVZTYBkJ3AOKxEZ8aAm0TEALw_wcB

Has two 12v 7AH batteries = 168 WH assuming 100% useable which it never is. The inverter and other losses might reduce that by 50%? Call it 100 WH ?

39 minutes ago, pocster said:

nas is Synology ds1019+

Draws 10 to 40W. Depends on disc activity. Top end of that range if recording video? 

How are the cameras powered? Also off the UPS via POE hub?

So I would predict somewhere between 2 and 10 hours at most.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Temp said:

https://cpc.farnell.com/powercool/1200va/ups-1200va-3x-13a-plug-rj45-3x/dp/CS25752?&mckv=sxWeea6ad_dt|pcrid|288268707748|kword|1200va|match|p|plid||slid||product||pgrid|46979450092|ptaid|kwd-6307168992|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-SKU&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtqL-BRC0ARIsAF4K3WEWnFsgy3FZdYpxJeoWcWgYMZVymLUAOEAUYsjzVZTYBkJ3AOKxEZ8aAm0TEALw_wcB

Has two 12v 7AH batteries = 168 WH assuming 100% useable which it never is. The inverter and other losses might reduce that by 50%? Call it 100 WH ?

Draws 10 to 40W. Depends on disc activity. Top end of that range if recording video? 

How are the cameras powered? Also off the UPS via POE hub?

So I would predict somewhere between 2 and 10 hours at most.

Yes ip cameras off poe router - but not via ups . 
I’m wondering as I think @PeterW indicated the ups charging might cause the trip . What am I looking for in a UPS to prevent that ? . eBay one was a cheapy ...

I suppose rather than ups usage at power outage is to have a ups that doesn’t trip the rcd .....

I'm going to get a small UPS if only for the bathroom Bluetooth unit here. We must have had half a dozen small power cuts last night and in the middle of the night the Bluetooth would play it's little power on tune! 

I should ring the supplier tbh and ask wtf is going on.

38 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Can’t you configure the mad to shutdown gracefully on a loss of power? Then the UPS doesn’t need to last long. 

I probably need at least to find a ups that’s compatible with the nas I.e the ups can tell the nas to shutdown . I then need to find maybe a ups compatible with homeseer to shut that pc down ( though I may be able to get the nas ups to trigger a z wave event which homeseer can pick up on ) 

Edited by pocster

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm going to get a small UPS if only for the bathroom Bluetooth unit here. We must have had half a dozen small power cuts last night and in the middle of the night the Bluetooth would play it's little power on tune! 

I should ring the supplier tbh and ask wtf is going on.

Will the bathroom ups heat the bathroom also ? ?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Rcd tripped . Tesla can’t fix that !

fair point. out of interest (although you may not know as you're not in yet) but does the Powerwall cut in quickly enough on a power cut to not cause the electronics to turn off? I've read some say it does and some say it doesn't! what is your experience?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

fair point. out of interest (although you may not know as you're not in yet) but does the Powerwall cut in quickly enough on a power cut to not cause the electronics to turn off? I've read some say it does and some say it doesn't! what is your experience?

Not experienced that . But installer who claimed to have a Tesla - said it switches instantly; you don’t even notice . This though I need to test for real !!

You need to measure the power consumption of the equipment you plan to run for 12 hours and then buy a UPS with suitable capacity.

I have 3 APC UPS just for other things, more in use for surge protection and power dips not to run for any length of time

• Like 1