British Gas Safety Check

Onoff

18 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It is worth bearing in mind that the roof does not normally require fire resistance.

I'd happily argue it's an open roof space not a void within the building. I've written to the  Gas Safety Register asking their thoughts on the matter and what if any recourse I have to BG.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'd happily argue it's an open roof space not a void within the building. I've written to the  Gas Safety Register asking their thoughts on the matter and what if any recourse I have to BG.

It is still a flue in a void within the building envelope so it would need inspecting.

Give Gas Safe their due they came back to me:

As we are the registration body for gas engineers, our remit is gas safety. If you have concerns for the gas work carried out in your property, you can raise this as a concern to us. You can make a concern to the Gas Safe Register by calling our contact centre on 0800 408 5500, via our website; http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/make_a_complaint.aspx or you can forward your concerns to me by email. The information required will be as follows;

•your full name, address, phone number and email address

•the name of the business

•the registration number of the business

•the address of the business

•the engineer’s name

•the engineer’s licence number on their ID card.

We also need information about the gas work carried out, tell us;

•If the work was carried out at (home or work premises)

•if you have told the business or engineer about your concern

•if the work is complete

•if the engineer has carried out any repairs or correction work

•if you are satisfied with the repairs or correction work if they carried it out

•if another engineer has carried out work additional work on the installation or appliances that you are raising a concern over

•any other details that could be useful to support your concern.

We will review your comments and carry out an investigation, which may include a visit to inspect the gas work carried out, if appropriate. Following the inspection visit, a copy of our Inspector's report will be sent to those parties entitled to receive a copy.

However if you have already arranged for British Gas to correct this, we would not be able to raise a concern to offer an inspection after they have done this. The best thing to do would be to make a complaint directly to British Gas.

I hope that this helps, however, if you have any other enquiries regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me again

Kind regards,

However, it seems half a "stock" response & a bit of a swerve tbh. I told them what had happened, seems like hard work. A bit like reporting one of the electrical scheme members. They'll give their members every chance to keep the cheques rolling in & only react over misuse of their logos! ?

1 hour ago, Gav_P said:

That’s crap. 

Sounds like pre worded copy n paste response to hope you go away . F that . I hate the piss being taken . Email or written letter best ( send signed for also send another copy with proof of posting ) . They can ignore email . In court proof of posting is sufficient as signed for could be signed by anyone . But in court the more ammo you have the better . I’m in fighting mode ! ??

• Like 1

Popped over this morning. Cut an access hole and put the phone up there. Good news in that the flue looks at least in excellent order. Not so impressed the roofing felt has been cut and left like that! I've measured up for a hatch. Not so good there's a joist in the way.

IMG_20201129_112914888

IMG_20201129_112935128

IMG_20201129_112944740

1st bend:

IMG_20201129_113015178

Second bend then up out the roof:

IMG_20201129_113032264

IMG_20201129_113042333

IMG_20201129_113912933

I've taken a video but left it recording so need to edit out the tenant & I talking before posting.

I cut a pit of pb before I went over and screwed a batten on. put that in and foil taped over for now.

Will return to fit a hatch.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

Speak then ffs ?

? Don't know what happened there! Can't go back and add a comment via editing.

Yes, email trail, tenants themselves asked if I could go over at 11 today when I requested access. All agreed Thursday I think. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

? Don't know what happened there! Can't go back and add a comment via editing.

Yes, email trail, tenants themselves asked if I could go over at 11 today when I requested access. All agreed Thursday I think. 

Access ? Dirty (expletive deleted)er - no wonder you couldn’t speak !

Good news, at least they've used the correct flue bends, and they've tech screwed them where required. One I saw at an eBuild members house was utterly horrific. The wrong bends used ( male and female push fit on vertical flue = jail, and when he said his son played up in the attic with his train set I offered to take a look as the combi was up there too. Client was not impressed when i put one finger under the flue terminal and lifted it easily off the top of the combi. And his installer was Vaillant accredited and a training instructor FFS.

We rectified with a complete new flue, and the "training instructor" paid my bill ( very quietly and apologetically too ).

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can I ask the idiot question ..?? 

Given that has a bend and a terminal in it, how did they install it and where is / was the access ..???

Has that been boarded up since it was installed ..???

I'm presuming it was put in then boarded over. Owned the place 7 years and it was like it then. I always felt it was tarted up to sell (still a sore point between SWMBO & I). All had the wow factor on the face of it but talk about what lies beneath. 

Not the best video clip below but it gives an idea of what's up there. I meant but failed, to get a good view of the joists across the ceiling.

Edited by Onoff

The one thing you may get pulled up on is the lack of clamps supporting the flue, effectively all the weight of the bends , pipe, terminal piece are sitting on the flue on the boiler..

Pipe clamps with threaded rod are normally used to either hang of timber work or masonry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyT said:

The one thing you may get pulled up on is the lack of clamps supporting the flue, effectively all the weight of the bends , pipe, terminal piece are sitting on the flue on the boiler..

Pipe clamps with threaded rod are normally used to either hang of timber work or masonry.

I'll see what they say and if need be add extra support. Hatch first.

Reckon I'll have to lose that 4x2m joist that just clips the 114dia access hole I drilled. Red is the boiler outline, green is 4x2 frame/joist. Can just see the edge of the joist, top left of the hole I drilled. A circa 450x450 hatch as suggested is the way I'm going I think:

50660541952_174840e14d_b.jpg&key=426d0cb

flue_001.thumb.png.4a7e1fd71bf6e76b1d65bf40914444d8.png

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Reckon I'll have to lose that 4x2m joist that just clips the 114dia access hole I drilled. Red is the boiler outline, green is 4x2 frame/joist. Can just see the edge of the joist, top left of the hole I drilled. A circa 450x450 hatch as suggested is the way I'm going I think:

50660541952_174840e14d_b.jpg&key=426d0cb

flue_001.thumb.png.4a7e1fd71bf6e76b1d65bf40914444d8.png

Ffs ? 

It’s a bloody inspection hatch not the spacex escape hatch. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Cheap plastic rectangular one.  Leave the joist.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/23011376431 fitted in 3 minutes.  Multi tool and mastic.  These are the sort that I put in.  Also use them for dirgos and base of internal stacks.

Too late, just ordered a 450mm2 fire rated one north of £50.