Closing cavity at the top for blown beads

MortarThePoint

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Better off with cavity batts. They're firmer, less susceptible to moisture, easier to work with and would have better insulation properties for the given thickness

The eps beads go down to 0.032 lambda which is the same as the best fibre batts.  There is also little risk of gaps or missing pieces.  I am not sure about price though.

Someone @Brickie? mentioned that with a wide cavity it is easier to use batts as they support the wall ties which otherwise lose their balance and there may therefore be a temptation to just push the ties into the joints.

Think I'd favour beads if I could get them at a reasonable price. Always used batts or blown in fibre up to now. Where i am is forgiving weather wise though. 

They have been using the beads on a job I've been on recently think they need to up the glue ratio it has been snowing whenever a hole is made. 

41 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Also I would favour batts if ever having to form a tray at dpc level. It doesn't take much dropped compo to bridge a cavity. Horses for courses. 

Leave some bricks out at the bottom and rake it clean?  Not sure how practical this is though.

On my current project we the upper floors are built off a wide steel plate so will need a cavity tray at the bottom.

7 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Nice, for me the op has too little insulation in the eaves zone and almost none over the wall plate ?

As a workaround adding extra insulation below the roof joists or a fillet piece internally might work if aiming for low thermal bridging at the eaves. 

8 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

What's that rippled black plastic called? I presume it's to create a ventilation gap between insulation and roofing membrane

Only required if you don’t use breather membrane as airflow is not required otherwise.