Oil Boiler Locking Out

Onoff

With the old pump rotating freely I refitted but no dice ? just locking up still.

New pump on and she fires and runs. In the absence of a gauge I decided as you suggested @dpmiller, to whip out the baffles and gauge the flame by eye for now (no sight gauge btw). Tbh I was amazed by the amount of crumbly, flaky, "debris" in there on the baffles. I don't remember it that bad when I last cleaned it out and made new baffles (2015?).

What is it, something from incomplete combustion, mill scale off the baffle I made? All scraped off and hoovered up now.

Little video, flame nearly reaching the back wall...look alright?

Just got to remember how the baffles went, as in gap at the front/back. Seem to recall having this issue before! ?

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

At what point does the professional service at £75 exceed the amount you’ve spent on parts trying to fix this by guessing ..?   

I would get the local guy to look at it. 

He said for £75 he'll remove the baffles and clean it out (I've done that), replace the jet (I can do that but haven't gone there yet) and I think he said change the filter and "generally check it out". As above he said it gets to a point when he'll just at suggest changing the whole burner. Looks to be about £300 for a new burner online. I can do that.

I'll make sure the pressure is correct to start with and ask the BiL (diesel fitter).

I just want to know what the issue is!

Flame size looks good.

as to the clag in the chamber,  excess air can do that, as can poor fuel quality.

the only way to set them up right is to do it the right way- pressure gauge and combustion analyser. That's probably worth the £75 a year as you can blow 10% efficiency up the flue as excess air...

But as to this one and it's lockouts? Being a Riello makes it really difficult as the pcb uses a tapping on the motor for it's power supply, but I'm looking at the lockout chart and there are no specifics for lockout w/ NO light so I'd be suspecting the box if there's a clean 50v from the motor.  Open the box and look for dry joints.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Flame size looks good.

as to the clag in the chamber,  excess air can do that, as can poor fuel quality.

the only way to set them up right is to do it the right way- pressure gauge and combustion analyser. That's probably worth the £75 a year as you can blow 10% efficiency up the flue as excess air...

But as to this one and it's lockouts? Being a Riello makes it really difficult as the pcb uses a tapping on the motor for it's power supply, but I'm looking at the lockout chart and there are no specifics for lockout w/ NO light so I'd be suspecting the box if there's a clean 50v from the motor.  Open the box and look for dry joints.

Ta. There's a bearing either end of the motor. If the one the pump end was dry then the fan end one might be too?

Not a spare part, the bearings, according to the manual but 6202 2RS seem to be the beasties from a quick search. I've just ordered a couple from NI, says "fits Riello". Not even shown on the ga drawing:

https://www.tubeclamps.co.uk/fittings.htm

I'll look at the PCB too thanks. 

IMG_20210214_173242113.jpg

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

combustion analyser

So what gases etc would you look for? Would an automotive one do?

1 minute ago, dpmiller said:

did oil run out when you broke the oil line at the pump? Yes? firevalve is OK.

It did but wondering if the flow is enough?

your jet will be something like .55 USgal/hr and it's a one pipe system so that all the flow you need.

No, a car one doesn't really do it. Your really looking at the balance between CO2 and O2 in the flue gas (it needs to be pretty badly rich before the CO starts rising in my experience) there's a kind of a knee-point in both of the gasses and you can balance them looking at flue gas temperature too. 

Minimum excess O2 that keeps the CO2 at specced levels, with no CO and minimum flue temps. Easy.

7 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

your jet will be something like .55 USgal/hr and it's a one pipe system so that all the flow you need.

No, a car one doesn't really do it. Your really looking at the balance between CO2 and O2 in the flue gas (it needs to be pretty badly rich before the CO starts rising in my experience) there's a kind of a knee-point in both of the gasses and you can balance them looking at flue gas temperature too. 

Minimum excess O2 that keeps the CO2 at specced levels, with no CO and minimum flue temps. Easy.

The jet thing, 0.55USgal/hr....any relevance to the 0.9gals/h flow rate? Got the 90/120 model:

IMG_20210214_220321063.thumb.jpg.53087783d44d0ab9647d63ed65cca285.jpg

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

jeez that's a monster for your wee bungalow... jet's either 0.75 or 1.0 but that's quoted at a standard pressure, so the actual recommended pressure varies.

Never worked out the sq.m area here...

Most of the big boiler is used heating cold loft space or under the suspended floor! ?

Got the pressure gauge in the post today and found the pressure a tad high, nearly 9bar. Lowered to 8bar as per the book. Screws straight into the hex extension piece on the burner with some PTFE tape round the1/8" BSP thread.

IMG_20210216_171456388.thumb.jpg.dab2d088cae3da8380f0e2aca8c535bd.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bearings changed. New ones just slid on tbh. Cheap crap I guess. Squished the shaft ends in the toothed vice jaws a tad to rough 'em up a bit then used some medium strength Loctite too.

A bit mucky with dirt / dust whatever in here. I wonder if that was blowing about a bit and obscuring the photocell occasionally? 

1621687658775-744465632.thumb.jpg.d704b0fbe8c22680cb68924e8fbf3b3e.jpg

Reassembling now.

Boiler hasn't missed a beat since changing the bearings. However it now has an annoying, underlying buzz/vibration though it rises and falls.

I should have probably just done the cleaning in where the photo cell sits and tried it! ?

Original bearings were SKF, new ones are unbranded.

I'll take it apart again just to see if I've done anything wrong. I'll change the bearings to a better make.

Have ordered a new (plastic) pump coupling, part number 3000443 that sits between the pump and motor. That's a bit worn.

• 2 years later...
Posted (edited)

Got in yesterday and happened to say it felt a bit cold. "Oh yes, it was warm this morning but not as warm as it usually is!" said SWMBO. That plus she thought she could "smell oil" by the boiler.

Oil boiler was starting then locking out, the 90-120 Riello RDB2 burner.

Checked the cap, first, AOK. Photocell clean, solenoid ok. Plenty of oil. Traced to the pump. Chucked a pressure gauge on and zilch. Took the pump off and rotating the shaft it felt a bit gritty. 

Somehow I found what appeared to be a brand new pump sat in the garage! Chucked it on, set to 8bar and happy days! Last night everything working. 

:( Just came in today from a day's tree felling and and the bloody thing is locking out again. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Sad 1