Oil Boiler Locking Out

Onoff

Typical! ??

A couple of weeks after cleaning and power flushing the CH system then adding inhibitor, the boiler today is periodically locking out. As in you wonder why the place is cold and have to go and press the red reset button on the Riello burner. Only just noticed the problem tonight.

- Oil tank full up. 

- Fire valve replaced with the last few years

-Boiler stat replaced within last few years

-Burner jet replaced within last few years

I did bleed the Riello when the oil got topped up as it had run out completely so was air locked. 

Oil filter maybe? I'll check that tomorrow.

Edited by Onoff

Try bleeding it again.

Check the flame sensor.  This is a plug in sensor who's job is to see the flame, I think it's little more than a photocell.  A common failure is the lens on the end of the sensor is sooted up so it won't see the flame and just needs a wipe to clean it.

Do you hear a roar of the flame starting up? if not could be the ignitor.

Don't randomly check, observe.

Does the motor start

can you hear the ignitor crackle?

Is there a click from the solenoid valve?

And because it's a Riello, does it have a hydraulic flap, and is it opening?

And... because it's happened twice to my dad's now... is there a possibility a mouse has crawled inside and is stalling the fan?

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Try bleeding it again.

Check the flame sensor.  This is a plug in sensor who's job is to see the flame, I think it's little more than a photocell.  A common failure is the lens on the end of the sensor is sooted up so it won't see the flame and just needs a wipe to clean it.

Do you hear a roar of the flame starting up? if not could be the ignitor.

I'll bleed again. Yes I hear the roar of the flame. 

Is the photocell accessible from outside or is it a case of taking the burner off? Assume carb cleaner will get the soot off?

16 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Don't randomly check, observe.

Does the motor start

can you hear the ignitor crackle?

Is there a click from the solenoid valve?

And because it's a Riello, does it have a hydraulic flap, and is it opening?

And... because it's happened twice to my dad's now... is there a possibility a mouse has crawled inside and is stalling the fan?

Motor starts, can't say I've ever heard the ignitor "crackle" or it "click".

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Capacitor on the motor ..?

I'll check

I gave the boiler stat a twiddle back and forth. Set between 60 & 75. Seems better. 

Just now, dpmiller said:

how long does it run before lockout?

Not sure. Seems to be running OK now. I went out up the garden and checked the oil. Gave the valve on the tank a screw fully in then out again in case any crap in that. Came in and twiddled the boiler stat.

I think I replaced the cap when I went through it all. 2015?

You are looking for a black flying lead that plugs into a hole and when you withdraw it you will see a sensor like this

s-l500.png

If you are hearing the flame roar, but the sensor is not seeing it, it is either just covered with soot at the end or it's faulty.

When it starts, you should first hear the fan start, then another noise as the oil pump starts, then a repeated clicking like a tazer going off and then the roar of the flame.  If the sensor does not detect the flame within a certain number of seconds it will all shut down and lock out.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

When it starts, you should first hear the fan start, then another noise as the oil pump starts, then a repeated clicking like a tazer going off and then the roar of the flame.  If the sensor does not detect the flame within a certain number of seconds it will all shut down and lock out.

Its working but just every now and again was locking out.

Seems to be working OK at the moment.  

One other thing I did was rearrange the route of the fire valve capillary tube and straighten a few tight radii. Maybe that was an issue?

See how it goes tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

When was the last time it was properly serviced?  It could be burning badly with a worn jet or just badly in need of adjustment?

Never has been serviced other than what I've done to it. 

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Well if bleeding and cleaning the end of the flame sensor does not fix it would get it properly serviced.  5 years is a long time for a burner jet.

The boiler went in in 1998 and I changed the the jety for the first time as far as I know in 2015. That's a long time!

Jets are only about £5 each - is it a single or a dual one ..?? Last oil service I saw they dropped the filter and the bowl on the separator and there was a lot of crud in there - all things that can cause pressure drops. 

Just now, PeterW said:

Jets are only about £5 each - is it a single or a dual one ..?? Last oil service I saw they dropped the filter and the bowl on the separator and there was a lot of crud in there - all things that can cause pressure drops. 

Can't recall. I kept the old one so will have a look later and post a picture. I'll remove / check the filter tonight.

Filter is a definite possibility then if it runs for a period of time- minutes or more- before locking out. The pump will happily suck the contents of the pipe  until it reaches a vacuum it can't exceed. After lockout fuel seeps through the blocked filter and you get another pipeful to play with...

• Like 1