Walk on glazing leak

Pocster

I had a Clio who's sunroof leaked like a sieve. I ended up siliconing it up with Dow 791/795 for good. 

I had a MK2 Capri where the A posts and sills rotted out inside 10 years. It'd had a full length Webasto sunroof since new. 

The rumour mill had it that they halved the drainage hose allocation for the cars so the hoses stopped half way up the A posts rather than extending down into the sills. A future work colleague who'd worked at Ford had heard the rumour too. Sure enough they do stop halfway up/down

18 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I would try a temporary solution first rather than gunging up the gap and then not being able to remove it. I would use a round EPDM foam strip that will squash into an uneven gap and then try the hose on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223789673562

On a different note is that stuff airtight when compressed. Thinking of a DIY secondary loft hatch above the ladder trap door.

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

My bro in law bought a brand new Peugeot 308 with the full sun roof that leaked from day 1. They had it back numerous times trying to find the leak with the full glass roof removed and resealed 3 times. Eventually managed to get it sorted.

my guess is they tried to seal it a couple of times --then did it the right way 

removing a full panaoramic glass rof is a big job and they would be worried about breaking it 

only way is to use a Fein saw with a knife blade between glass and frame -+ small wedges2mm to support it to stop it binding on blade  same goes for your walk on glazing if its stuck in already 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/303627789857?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=303627789857&targetid=4585032211933600&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=398226948&mkgroupid=1302921513642151&rlsatarget=pla-4585032211933600&abcId=2145997&merchantid=87779&msclkid=57bae7ae79171e02cfbeb81756d27369

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, vfrdave said:

On a different note is that stuff airtight when compressed. Thinking of a DIY secondary loft hatch above the ladder trap door.

I'm pretty sure you can get stuff with a skin on which I guess would be airtight. Not sure about the open sort, I know Compriband is airtight if it's within it's expansion range and it looks similar.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

I had a Clio who's sunroof leaked like a sieve. I ended up siliconing it up with Dow 791/795 for good. 

resealed over10 of then for local renault dealer -- frame work plastic and not enough fixings --sikaflex cured them every time first time +no need for fixings once it cured 

same when we used to fit after market sunroofs to new car,before all cars had them  --always came with foam sticky tape --soon learned to throw that away and use sikaflex  pu adhesive

NOT any type silicone sealer - you know you got the right stuff when you get it on your fingers and its takes a week to wear off

even stuck engine mountings back together with it when rubber mount debonds from metal with old age 

--build it up nearly any thickness you like --but give it 24hrs per 3mm to cure  before stressing it

welly repairs sticking soles on shoes --my go too it stuff for sealing and repairs on flexible stuff 

Edited by scottishjohn

54 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

resealed over10 of then for local renault dealer -- frame work plastic and not enough fixings --sikaflex cured them every time first time +no need for fixings once it cured 

same when we used to fit after market sunroofs to new car,before all cars had them  --always came with foam sticky tape --soon learned to throw that away and use sikaflex  pu adhesive

NOT any type silicone sealer - you know you got the right stuff when you get it on your fingers and its takes a week to wear off

even stuck engine mountings back together with it when rubber mount debonds from metal with old age 

--build it up nearly any thickness you like --but give it 24hrs per 3mm to cure  before stressing it

welly repairs sticking soles on shoes --my go too it stuff for sealing and repairs on flexible stuff 

My new, cheapo, eBay riggers boots where the sole separated from the upper are now held together with CT1.