Building regs and British standards

gravelrash

Does Building regs trump British standards? 

House build limited to 3.2m ridge, architect is designing roof to 1 in 40 as he says thats the regs to allow for bad tolerances and any sag as per regs...but this dramatically lowers ceiling height.

I would have thought that modern materials and web joists would allow a 1 in 80 design that retains 1 in 80 slope.

BS:6229 allows design and build at 1 in 80 - so Building regs or British standards?

I think your architect is designing in some tolerance for typical building site practise! Recent experience and research myself suggested design to 1 in 60 for the 1 in 80 minimum. What tends to trump both is the opinion of your BCO I reckon ?

Edited by SimonD

BS 6229 states design fall should be 1:40 to make sure actual fall is no worse than 1:80 accounting for site tolerances & inaccuracies. There are some waterproofing systems designed for zero falls - these should have 3rd party certification and need careful design (no back falls).

4 hours ago, gravelrash said:

Does Building regs trump British standards? 

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think British Standards have any authority in and of themselves; only indirectly through reference from other things (such as building regulations) that do. Furthermore, BS6229 is a 'Code of Practice' rather than a 'standard', which may be relevant. 

Edited by MJNewton

Google found..

https://www.bauder.co.uk/technical-centre/design-considerations/flat-roof-design-considerations/falls-and-drainage#:~:text=According to BS 6229 %26 BS,along with any internal gutters.

It is a requirement of Building Regulation Part H that adequate provision is made for rainwater to be carried from the roof of the building. According to BS 6229 & BS 8217, flat roofs should be designed with minimum falls of 1:40 to ensure a finished fall of 1:80 can be achieved, allowing for any inaccuracies in the construction. This applies to general roof areas along with any internal gutters.

However I can't find where it says that in Part H. Part H doesn't appear to reference either BS standard.

Perhaps see page 38 onwards.

Edited by Temp