losing Gas

Dave Jones

Combi what? Boiler?

You can't have an LPG cylinder inside a property (except for those horrible gas heaters on wheels).  A ground floor flat you might be able to have LPG cylinders outside if you have access to space you control and if the freeholder has no objections.

@ProDaveI think he means that it is a combi gas boiler and he wants to replace it with a small hot water tank and different kind of boiler.

I guess I would ask the question of why?

It is going to be quite involved to replace the combi with a tank and boiler and expensive. You are going to need a minimum tank size of 100l which is not going to fit in a kitchen cupboard easily. It might fit into a larger cupboard, but that is a lot of space in a small flat.

If the issue is not wanting gas in the flat I would replace it with an electric combi. That will be a bit more expensive to run.

• Like 1

I'd replace it with an electric combo then. My landlord did it in my flat in London. Went pretty smoothly.

Electric combi had a small tank inside it, I found that it was fine for a shower, but if you wanted to run a bath the hot water would start to run out just before the bath was full. Fine for a 1 or 2 bed flat

48 minutes ago, AliG said:

@ProDaveI think he means that it is a combi gas boiler and he wants to replace it with a small hot water tank and different kind of boiler.

I guess I would ask the question of why?

It is going to be quite involved to replace the combi with a tank and boiler and expensive. You are going to need a minimum tank size of 100l which is not going to fit in a kitchen cupboard easily. It might fit into a larger cupboard, but that is a lot of space in a small flat.

If the issue is not wanting gas in the flat I would replace it with an electric combi. That will be a bit more expensive to run.

Aha, I had a "senior moment"

I read "losing gas" as for some reason he was losing the mains gas supply and looking for an alternative.  I will excuse my faux pas by saying the question could have been worded clearer.

• Haha 1

Your tennant might not thank you.  Electricity costs at least three times gas per kWh.

https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison/

Pence per kWh (after boiler efficiency)...

Electricity Online Rate   19.43 p/kWh

Mains Gas Online Rate  3.44 p/kWh

I guess if you aren't paying much for gas the absolute increase won't seem so bad.

I was worried about that, but you use so little heat in a small flat it wasn't much of an issue.

I think the electricity bill went up about £20 a month when the boiler was changed, but it was a few years now. I was only in the flat 4 nights a week.

When the bill is low saving one standing charge makes a decent difference.

My electricity fix is almost up, the best deal I found today was 2.19 for gas and 14.29 for electricity, a 6.5x ratio is the worst I have seen. You will get a bit back in efficiency in the electric boiler. It won't be easy to move people off gas boilers with those figures.

Electric combi boilers are crap. Stick with gas. Don't forget the costs of an enormous supply cable and possible fuse board ( CU ) upgrade to cope with the high current demand of the combi. If you have an electric solution for cooking, you'll also need to see if you have enough current coming into the house to cope. 

Bad idea.

You could consider a Sunamp.  Though they may have other problems.

Space heating can be done with storage heaters, then take advantage of the cheaper night rate.

As this is a rental, getting rid of gas is a sensible move, saves on annual certificates, servicing and, if it does leak gas, a 'Ronan Point'.

Edited by SteamyTea