Build Off

Guest Alphonsox

mate of mine built his in 6 months, after land cleared, just him and a few mates, as and when he needed them, weekends mostly,

BUT,

he did have use of most plant from building firm he worked for when he needed it at weekends,

so that doesnt really count as a normal self build,

bloody luxury to have help like that for virtually free,  :)

Because self building isn't stressful enough... can't imagine wanting a bunch of cameras all over the place :0

The other thing is that there is no way of knowing how the judges will weight the various factors. Will the winning house have to be quirky, off the wall, and stuffed full of features that look great on TV but would actually drive you mad trying to live with them? I would hate to compromise my build by making it über trendy just to impress some people off the telly...

Ooh, he's going to the Self Build Centre on Friday - so am I....  Good job the OH isnt going.:ph34r:

Fresh from his stint in the Celebrity Jungle, Martin will be joining us on Friday 27th January to open our show and explain more about his new TV show 'Build Off'.

Martin Roberts is one of the UK's most respected Property, Travel and Lifestyle TV presenters and journalists. 

For nearly 14 years he has presented the popular property auction show "Homes under the Hammer" on BBC1, now in it's 21st series.

He has also regularly appeared on BBC Radio, ITV, CNN and SKY TV.

7dd67879-e8a7-4728-8ce8-8da7a99dd84e.jpg

5 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

Ooh, he's going to the Self Build Centre on Friday - so am I....  Good job the OH isnt going.:ph34r:

Fresh from his stint in the Celebrity Jungle, Martin will be joining us on Friday 27th January to open our show and explain more about his new TV show 'Build Off'.

Martin Roberts is one of the UK's most respected Property, Travel and Lifestyle TV presenters and journalists. 

For nearly 14 years he has presented the popular property auction show "Homes under the Hammer" on BBC1, now in it's 21st series.

He has also regularly appeared on BBC Radio, ITV, CNN and SKY TV.

7dd67879-e8a7-4728-8ce8-8da7a99dd84e.jpg

by whom?

may I ask.?

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Is there a longest build competition? :ph34r:

A friend of mine started a steading (barn for the southerners) conversion in 2005. It quickly became a knock down and rebuild. It is still not finished thought they have been living in it for many years as they gradually add bits. I understand he has had some issues with BC over the length of time it is taking.

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

mate of mine built his in 6 months, after land cleared, just him and a few mates, as and when he needed them, weekends mostly,

BUT,

he did have use of most plant from building firm he worked for when he needed it at weekends,

so that doesnt really count as a normal self build,

bloody luxury to have help like that for virtually free,  :)

You know some remarkable people.

In between working, it has taken me a year to roof and clad the exterior of my house on my own, install the drainage and landscape the site. Only in December did I start on the interior. Very minimum of another year but I expect the money to run out before then so I will then have a wait until early 2018 before some funds become available (unless of course by some miracle someone buys our present house)

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You know some remarkable people.

In between working, it has taken me a year to roof and clad the exterior of my house on my own, install the drainage and landscape the site. Only in December did I start on the interior. Very minimum of another year but I expect the money to run out before then so I will then have a wait until early 2018 before some funds become available (unless of course by some miracle someone buys our present house)

I think , @ProDave

its still the intrinsic nature of how people in Ireland work, both North and South,

everyone helps each other out, and friends are for life, jeez, the best man at my wedding (the guy that flew over and done my plastering) , whom Ive known for over 25years, is actually the son of one of the family that grew up next door to my mum when they were kids,

maybe thats why I find living in England a very strange place,

I've lived in quite a few places i the world, this is probably the only place Ive ever lived where I feel like a stranger in a strange land,