Does anyone have a ha-ha? (sunken wall)

Ferdinand

This is a little bit 'idle curiousity', but I was wondering if anyone does? We do seem to have a lot of people with outrageously good views from their plots.

For non-landscape nerds a ha-ha is a sunken wall and a ditch used to give you an uninterrupted view of the landscape, but still keep livestock out. The only downside is that it doesn't keep the wind out.

I know quite a few people who have a hedge and a raised platform, which seems to be a modern alternative. 

We used to have one at home where the garden level ran across a depression in the pasture, probably put in when the Georgians or the Victorians laid out the garden. It was where we eventually incorporated a stone hut for the Aquatron 'composting loo' to have it out of sight.

Very common in National Trust properties. Isn't there even a nod to these at the Badminton Horse Trials, with a fence called the "sunken wall"?

Ferdinand

Ha_ha_wall_diagram.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...

I will be building a small section of haha wall in the upper reaches of my garden, I have an existing fence in place at the moment to keep sheep out, ( i will be removing the section Of fence between the two big posts) 
the idea is to convert the grassy area in the foreground  into a lowered stone flagged seating Area with fire pit and bbq facilities. The site faces west and gets incredibly sunsets.

the aim is to give guests a real sense of being right in the middle of the landscape without looking over a wire fence, 

C170538B-84D0-4DE1-98E6-DC00C426453D.jpeg

B0A87C44-942B-4859-ABAF-DFCB754A9396.jpeg

• Like 1