Warning Batsafe is NOT bat safe

Jilly

We found just one pipistrelle bat when the building was stripped...

The ecology officer has said no, but there is lots of controversy about this product when you look for it.

Builder is now worried about ventilation and how to square it with BC

In our planning fight our ecologist agreed that I could build bat boxes into the roof of my workshop to stop having bats in the house, planners said we still want them in the house. At the appeal the gov inspector told the planners they were not qualified to over rule the ecologist ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

No, the ecologist supported my option of housing them I’m my detached workshop roof (even tho the planners wanted them in the house as well).

That's exactly what we are doing. I'm using bat friendly cladding and roofing on a shipping container workshop in the garden.

In these situations, the planners are meant to follow the guidence of the relative experts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Conor said:

I'm using bat friendly cladding

Mmm, my point is that the stuff which claims to be bat safe isn't. Anything which is breathable polyester based stuff tangles in their feet and traps them. There are lawsuits going on, not surprisingly, about the misleading name. But imagine if we had put the stuff on, finished the roof, then the ecologist had demanded that we use F1 bitumen (the only really safe stuff, apparently). What a who ha of blame that would be. 

As it is, it's had to be bounced back to the architect, as BC wouldn't comment about the need for a different ventilation solution. Watch this space. 

On 01/09/2020 at 12:50, Jilly said:

Builder is now worried about ventilation and how to square it with BC

Typically you either need a vapour permeable membrane or a 50mm ventilated void below a non permeable membrane. The latter causes issues with the depth of insulation between rafters. You may need more insulation below the rafters. 

An alternative might be to switch to a warm roof which puts insulation above the rafters but raises roof height. That doesn't need ventilation but it's important to get an interstitial condensation risk assessment done for the proposed design. Don't let the builder just wing it.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Temp said:

Typically you either need a vapour permeable membrane or a 50mm ventilated void below a non permeable membrane. The latter causes issues with the depth of insulation between rafters. You may need more insulation below the rafters. 

An alternative might be to switch to a warm roof which puts insulation above the rafters but raises roof height. That doesn't need ventilation but it's important to get an interstitial condensation risk assessment done for the proposed design. Don't let the builder just wing it.

Thank you, I think this answers the question, apart from the fact we are a conversion in a conservation area and can't change anything...