What type of ceiling is this?

Zen

Hi,

I have little experience in building work so please excuse my ignorance but could anyone identify what type of ceiling this is and how I might go about repairing it myself?

Many thanks, Zen

IMG_0725.JPG

Edited by Zen

I'd guess an old lath and plaster ceiling, that's been boarded/battened over when it started to fail.  It looks like there has been some damp issues;  if that's been sorted, you could probably cosmetically improve it with a few screws, some filler and a coat or two of paint.  If it's not a listed building, I'd be tempted to take it down and replace with plasterboard. If you can get up above it to have a look, you'll get a better idea.

Thank you that is very helpful.  Outside the room on the landing it is original Victorian lath and plaster so what you say sounds likely.  I will see if I can identify it from above from the loft.  Perhaps this is a job for a proper builder.  So the recommendation is to definitely replace with plasterboard rather than plaster over the original lath?  I guess depends on whether the lath is in good condition or not?  Thanks

What's above it? Another floor or attic space?

The laths in our house were is surprisingly good condition, even tho the plaster had been destroyed by damp and leaks. Previous owners had simply fitted timber panelling below the failing plaster.

Removing the plaster from the laths is an easy but hurrendously messy and unpleasant job.

It is attic space above yes.  So I should check to see the state of laths first from above and then decided if it is possible.  Is installing plasterboard a relatively easy job for someone with little experience or should get somone in to do that?  Thanks

Pulling a Lath and plaster ceiling down is a horrible job ... use disposable coveralls, goggles and a dust mask.

Putting plasterboard up is relatively simple once you master handling the 8x4 sheets overhead.

A plaster board lifter is inexpensive to hire and well worth it if you are on your own etc.

Zen.

if you are inexperienced take care please. Ceilings like this are common in 20th century buildings. In particular in Devon and Cornwall. Usually I find they are a board that used to be called insulation board. It is really a low density wood based fibre board. It is not mechanically strong so was held in place by the timber strips. However I have also found some that are hardboard and a few that are cement asbestos board. I bought a 1935 bungalow with such an asbestos ceiling back in 2005. More recently I have found them in Devon, usually somehow connected to farming. Farmers are great at bodging. 
Get someone with a bit of building knowledge to look at it. If you can’t do the following

1. Try to see how thick it is. Insulation board was generally 3/4” (19mm). Hardboard 3mm, cement asbestos usually 1/4” (6mm). Try removing a ceiling rose but wear PPE including a good face mask FP3. Don’t inhale any dust. If the power is off, dampen the area with a plant sprayer first.
2 Insulation board is softer and make a dull noise if struck.
3. Hardboard is harder but deflects easily if pushed against in the middle of a panel.

4. cement asbestos is hard and at that size does not deflect so easily. It makes a sharp noise if you tap it with the edge of a coins.

5. Do not drill any holes until you are sure it is not asbestos.

Occasionally I find internal panelling of a material called AIB but it does not tend to have the timber strips. It is called asbestos insulating board. Much worse as it contains a more dangerous form of asbestos, amosite. It usually turns up in commercial buildings but is also common in soffits and integrated garages of 60s and 70s housing.

I suspect you ceiling is a repair of the original. I doubt this bit is L&P.