Self managed renovation (finally)

Jimbo37

Hi all,

Great to find this forum, as I find it tricky to find balanced, informed opinions on lots of stuff - which I hope to find here.

I am embarking on a self-managed renovation of my 1970s bungalow in Co Down, after 5 years of wheel spinning - everyone wants you to knock and rebuild, and finances (VAT etc) definately push you in that direction. In essence, I am building a new timber structure garage, converting my existing garage and reconfiguring and upgrading the main dwelling. Oh yeah, a bit of landscaping (if I have money left). 

I also hope I can help one or two of you.

TIA, James

Welcome. I am Also renovating a few old buildings..... no body told me at the time to knock em down and now it’s way to late ! I enjoy the process and the learning experience and treat it like an expensive hobby...... 

Knocking down does feel like a drastic step, I remember watching the machine inching towards my old house and thinking 'what are we doing?'.

However for some builds, it makes perfect sense and is the most economical option, if planners allow it.

30 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

However for some builds, it makes perfect sense and is the most economical option, if planners allow it.

After recently doing a conversion that basically swallowed an old double garage I entirely agree ..!! The hassle of keeping an old structure that looked sound on the face of it (built in 1996) which then was found to be out of square in most directions plus need a complete new roof etc to tie into the new, and notwithstanding the VAT issue of a conversion rather than knock down and rebuild means that I would seriously consider taking any structure down these days where possible.

However on the flip side, like @Cpd I really do enjoy the challenge of stripping back old buildings to their bare shell to see how they were built and working with them - that’s probably just the slightly sadistic side of me though ..!! 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

However on the flip side, like @Cpd I really do enjoy the challenge of stripping back old buildings to their bare shell to see how they were built and working with them - that’s probably just the slightly sadistic side of me though ..!! 

That's just a slower form of demolition :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1