Opinions on Dulux Diamond Matt and Johnstones Perfect Matt?

MJNewton

We're on the final stages of our our plan lounge-kitchen-diner extension with the walls and ceiling having had their white mist coat. The matt white finish has really impressed us so the with the colour decided we've just got to settle on brand/product for the top coat. The room is very well lit with wall-to-wall sliding doors and roof lantern which, whilst aesthetically pleasing, is really unforgiving on paint finish - particularly on the ceiling where the slightest of imperfections (roller marks, tramlines etc) seem to stand out a mile.

I happened to stumble across Johnstones 'Perfect Matt' which makes some bold claims about quality of final finish:

Johnstone’s Trade Perfect Matt is an innovative matt wall paint that eliminates the impact of visible application marks highlighted by critical lighting and the extra time it takes to rectify them. Innovative Smooth Layer technology creates a flawless finish with ease and in any colour. Need to re-touch? No problem. The end result will still be flawless.

Characteristics of Johnstone's Trade Perfect Matt - Eliminates visible application marks, has a flawless flat matt finish, Effortless spot repair, and is Class 1 scrub resistant.

The on trend flat matt finish and superior opacity levels contribute to the flawless finish too. Plus, the premium matt emulsion has a Class 1 scrub resistance and therefore can withstand cleaning without burnishing.

bc80168e855f38ab8dbed3bc2156ccdf.jpg

Has anyone ever tried it? It certainly sounds like it would fit the bill; the only downside is the cost at ~£65/5L! Reassuringly expensive perhaps?

Keeping the theme of expensive paints we've also been looking at Dulux Diamond Matt for the walls as, with it being a kitchen and having a toddler around, we like the idea of it supposedly being easy to clean and more withstanding of abuse.Not quite as expensive as the Johnstones, at ~£45/5L.

57857.jpg

I've heard it mentioned on here a couple of times - do you recommend it?

I know I've mentioned cost twice now and whilst I always keen to get value for money I really don't mind paying extra if it really does do what it says on the tin. Hopefully we won't be repainting for a good few years yet and so the extra £50 here and there really doesn't matter. If the Johnstones is as tough as the Dulux (both meeting the Class 1 scrub resistance standard), *and* can give a more even coating then I'd be happy to pay the extra and use that throughout the room.

Edited by MJNewton

Apologies for the reply-to-self (after only 5 minutes too!) but I stumbled across a review of the Johnstones which, whilst positive, happened to mentioned some alternatives so I thought I'd throw these into the mix of options:

For ceiling: Tikkurila Anti-reflex 2 at £47.40/10L:

8698_9100_10__Antireflex_White_9L_3_1.jp

And for the walls, the Class 1 scrubable Tikkurila Optiva 3/5 at £88/10L:

Tikkurila_Optiva_Matt_5.jpg

Again, they both sound ideal and a fair bit cheaper too...

• Thanks 1

TBH I now use Wickes Tough and Washable and it is so much better than Dulux. Goes on well, finish is superb with a short pile Harris Pro roller and coverage is very good. 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pure-Brilliant-White---No-0-Tough+Washable-Matt-Emulsion-Paint---5L/p/121920

Compared it to Dulux Eundurance and it is much better - at £18 for 5 litres with a trade card you can’t go wrong. 

• Thanks 2

I will be painting very soon, all areas have already had a mist coat of Leyland Trade Contract (using Harris Short pile pro rollers - highly recommend also)

We were thinking of using Armstead Durable Matt White due to good reviews and as its cheaper than the Dulux at around £30 for 5 litre and its apparently a very very similar formula but we might now give the Wickes paint a try at £18.

Wickes Bathroom is really good too. Ignore some of the comments that it smells of cat wee..!! Only does that when you open a can then leave it half empty for a while somewhere warm ..!! Good shake of the can and it soon fades. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Wickes Bathroom is really good too. Ignore some of the comments that it smells of cat wee..!! Only does that when you open a can then leave it half empty for a while somewhere warm ..!! Good shake of the can and it soon fades. 

The only thing about the bathroom paint that I have used before and do not like is that it tends to have a sheen to it.

Just looked at the Wickes Bathroom paint and its all soft sheen - Does anyone make a bathroom paint than is truly matt and not soft sheen?

Edited by wozza

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been reading up on all these candidate options (it's no wonder my extension is taking so long - I spent most of my available time on the Internet!) and think I've settled on the Tikkurila options I mentioned.

I found a professional decorators forum who recently had a poll on the 'best ceiling paint' and the Anti Reflex 2 won by a fair distance given how well it copes in tough lighting that would otherwise how up even the slightest of imperfection or application issue - just what I need!

I think I might also try the Optiva 5 as it sounds like Dulux Diamond Matt will have too much of a sheen for us (we really are after flat matt, and the '5' refers to its reflectivity of 5% which sounds broadly like what we're after) and the Johnstones Perfact Matt seems unnecessarily expensive (but good never the less).

Agree also about the Harris short pile rollers but I seem to be having trouble getting hold of Harris stuff at the moment - I wonder if lockdown has affected their production? I'll be passing a particular Screwfix that have a couple left when I go to collect the paint so might grab 'em.

Ok, so over the last few days I have been reading up on paint for our extension and had pretty much decided to try the Wickes Tough and Washable as suggested by @PeterW after considering Johnsons, ArmStead and Dulx.

But then I decide to read up a bit more about Tikkurila Anti-reflex 2 - thanks to @MJNewton

After reading lots of reviews and information, I found that many people suggested that this is one of the best matt white ceiling paints available.

So I priced it up on the Tikkurila website at £47.40 + delivery - hmmm, I then fired up the live chat box and began a live chat with a really nice chap, I asked him if there were any suppliers local to me - he found one about 15 miles away - Bromborough Paints - so I called them up - £32.38 for a 10L tub, so I went and got one.

The bare plaster has had a mist coat of Leyland Contract Matt thinned at 10% and looked good, especially where it went on a bit thicker.

Last night Swmbo and I painted the ceiling in three of the rooms and I have to say that so far I am very impressed - the paint is rich and creamy, goes on well with a brush and with a shortpile Harris roller - minimal splatter. The finish this morning after one coat is very nice, super flat and uniform. We will be putting on a second coat today.

Anti Reflex 2 from Tikkurila will be my go to choice of ceiling paint from now on and I shall definitely be trying their wall paints.

Wozza.

Edited by wozza

Great to hear about your successes with the Anti Reflex 2 @wozza. I must say; I entered into the world of paint and selection with some bewilderment about the choices on offer but actually the more I've read about Anti Reflex 2 the more confident I am about it being a perfect match to our requirements to the point where the only way I could up this will be from having first-hand experience.

We too have a local stockist, although I'm paying a bit more than you at £40 (incl. VAT). I was prepared to buy direct from the manufacturer if required though, and I thought their delivery charge (£7 I think?) seemed reasonable enough for a few 10L tubs of paint.

44 minutes ago, Conor said:

We used Dulux Once matt paint in our last house, complete disaster. marked really easily, literally wiped off the walls with a damp cloth. Scared me off matt paint for ever.

Might that have been more to do with it being Dulux Once? Note so much the Dulux bit but more the one-coat aspect? I always feel that benefits of 'features' such as this always have to come with a corresponding drawback somewhere else (otherwise it'd be a standard feature across the board). Might poor adhesion have been it? I could imagine that the the one-coat ability must be due to viscosity and so I could also imagine this meaning it doesn't get the same level of 'grip' on the substrate.

Edited by MJNewton

A quick interim review of the Tikkurila paints above...

Echoing what @wozza has said, the Anti Reflex 2 went on to the ceiling really well - absolutely no roller marks, completely flat matt (hard to focus on it when up close!) and - if you'll forgive the obligatory cliche - really does do what it says on the tin in terms of coping superbly well with unforgiving light angles. The second coat is still to go on but is seeming like just something of a formality, although I did have a pretty decent white base (Screwfix's No Nonsense plaster paint) underneath.

I've also done a first coat of Optiva 5 on the walls and that too seems excellent. Slightly thinner that the Anti Reflex 2 hence even easier to apply. Covers really well, silky smooth and gives a luxurious finish. Using the base white again so can't comment on coloured tints. I've yet to test its scrubability/cleanability but will do some tests in due course on the walls behind where the kitchen units will go (I figured the sink or dishwasher opening would be an ideal place to test cleaning methods before doing so anywhere on display! Whilst the product literature makes no mention I am assuming the paint will take some time to develop its maximum strength as I know that whilst emulsion dries fairly quickly (25 minutes to touch dry for the Optima 5!) there's still various other ingredients that go through various state changes over a much longer period.