Shower fixing and testing

Pocster

I’m really having a bad day - can’t concentrate. Lost a family member over the weekend - so that can be today’s excuse ?

I’m being thick for sure .

The mixer outlet ( top left ) need to fix to the shower elbow bottom left . But because ( as far as I can tell ) the shower elbow is ‘more forward’ ; they aren’t nicely inline .
So from shower mixer fittings would be

1/2” BSP

90 Deg spigot 

90 elbow 

90 elbow 

then down into the back plate fixing .

Just seems way too many fittings for such a short run .

Second question is when I water test this I really need to ‘block’ the shower outlets yes ? ( head and flexi hose ) . So that I have water pressure right to the final destination and can leave over night to test . 

10DCB80C-7CC2-4A73-9959-0319563EA972.jpeg

Does it have to be plastic?

I would bend a piece of copper to do that.

Not sure if I would get 2 bends in that space so it might be a 45 degree bend to kick the pipe out from the wall then a 90 degree soldered elbow to take it down.

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does it have to be plastic?

I would bend a piece of copper to do that.

Not sure if I would get 2 bends in that space so it might be a 45 degree bend to kick the pipe out from the wall then a 90 degree soldered elbow to take it down.

Plastic for everything .

No idea how I get the spigot out as the key won’t fit ?

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think that’s it !

989D4208-610B-4D40-8304-935285B30EB3.thumb.jpeg.c590c426b9c493f71466f63321512a4c.jpeg

But how do I pressure test at the final point ? . The end fixing for shower head etc. have these funny things ! . Really want to cap them for proper test .

image.jpg

image.jpg

What goes on there then, some sort of quick connect thing?

All that springs to mind is the story about the boy sticking his finger in the dyke...

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Unscrew your shower fitting from the wall elbow and screw a 3/4 male blank in.

Yes but then I’m not testing the entire fitting . I could do that , it doesn’t leak . Then put their fitting in and it could leak ...

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What goes on there then, some sort of quick connect thing?

All that springs to mind is the story about the boy sticking his finger in the dyke...

Yes - some special thing with a grub screw ( which I’ll lose soon )

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Okay, so put the shower hose fitting in your picture on, fit the shower hose with a 1/2" male blank in the other end of the shower hose.

Ok - assuming that all fits ( which I guess it should ) what about the shower head ? (2nd photo ) 

Same problem, tidier solution.

Same idea could be achieved using a inline kink in a piece of copper pipe. Would require a pipe bender though.

I also fitted a bunch of valves so that I could test the system / make a mess from air & water shooting out unexpectedly. 

14f97050-a4f2-4efc-a2b4-d1ef120854b7.jpg

• Like 1

Yes should be easy to cap that to test it.

P.S it is handy having been doing plumbing for years and having a big box of assorted plumbing fittings (I never throw any away) so I can usually rummage in the box and cobble up something for most situations.

• Like 1

Put water through on the cold feed only . Lots of knocking - assume air in pipe ?

Have a leak on one of the brass fittings - so will fix that first .

Does the mixer need hot and cold simultaneously ? I.e prevent the knocking ? . I have no hot available but could stick cold on the hot feed ...