Tammie

What should a timber frame house first floor flooring be like? Been in my new home a year and having alot of noise issues whilst walking on them then also creaking when downstairs? It started a minth or so after moving in.Thank you

Hello Tammie.

Good post. My view is that to get the best out of this site you maybe want to provide a bit more basic information. For example is it a new build? Is it a timber framed house or a more traditional type of construction.. your survey /home report / sales brochure may help here in that it may tell you what kind of house you have.

If you wish you can give a bit more detail, where you are located in the country and just some back ground information. Try if you can to describe the symptoms in more detail.

I think if you do this there are a lot of folk on this site that will chip in and help. I learn something new all the time here.

12 hours ago, Tammie said:

What should a timber frame house first floor flooring be like?

Hi Tammie, welcome to the forum. In my TF house the first floor flooring is 14mm bamboo on 22mm chipboard which is supported by metal web joists. We don't have any creaking but because it's a hard floor as opposed to carpet it's more noisy walking on it. If built quickly and in less than ideal conditions timber frame houses can settle and shrink a little which can cause creaks. Do you know how the ground floor has been constructed.

A company called fasthouse the kit came from. I've had the builders joiners out there recently and pulled back a bit of carpet in one bedroom and couldn't see anything.  However I've just pulled back carpet at top of stairs and the boards arent even glued. What am I best pushing for them to do? I've had so many problems and just not confident with how the flooring has been done. Thank you 

How do you know those boards aren't glued to the joists below..?? That is what stops creaking, not just the boards glued together.

You could fix that board join issue using a liquid glue run into the joints but if they aren't glued to the joists then there is a bigger issue to resolve.

I dont ive no knowledge of flooring at all I just know the sound isn't normal its really bad and the house is only built one year.  Should I push to have floorboards pulled up? I generally dont belive much comes from the builders they've said all along the noise is fine due to timber frame? Thank you 

The gluing down of boards is a fairly recent thing.  Used to be just glued sheets together and nailed down and they did not always have issues.  There is no chance of gluing the floor down now, so I would suggest dribbling D4 glue in the joins and fixing down with chipboard floor screws at 200 centres.