Whose idea was floating shelves?

I don’t trust floating shelves, not on dot and dab to brick. So I’m going to use brackets too, http://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-load-bracket-147kg-white-200-x-200mm-10-pack/30268 and 14 of these bad boys http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-rawl-4-all-mixed-wall-plugs-blue-200-pcs/8467g in the plasterboard.

I just hope I can get all the holes level and lined up.

What size dowels / other go into the shelves? 

Id get some stainless threaded bar and drill through the d&d into the solid wall behind leaving the stainless protruding as the new dowels. 

Buy some resin anchor ( mastic gun one ) and fit the shelves on the wet fixings so it stays lined up and plumb / level. Stuff goes off in <5 mins after mixing in the nozzle. It's 2-part resin + hardener your looking for. Remove shelf and refit accordingly and job done. ?

Eating a bacon roll, will look for a link.  

I too just don't like dot and dab anyway but it would be ok if the void under the shelf was fully filled. Re resin studs I have fixed large oak shelves/ mantles with threaded rod and resin and its very solid and looks great without brackets.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

1) PMSL

2) They're chunky ok, but usually like a cheap internal door. A few strips of pine and all mdf / hardboard covered. Solid wood obviously would be as such. 

You can get leather effect ones too you know! ;)

I put a few of the floating shelves up in my sister's from IKEA and to be honest they seen pretty sturdy and I was impressed. Two long steel rods and plenty of fixing holes.

Then she got different ones from Argos. These basically hang on a screw head on a tin plate similar to what you would  find on a picture frame . They need cleaned twice a day to stop dust building up and pulling them of the wall, pure and utter crap.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I put a few of the floating shelves up in my sister's from IKEA and to be honest they seen pretty sturdy and I was impressed. Two long steel rods and plenty of fixing holes.

Then she got different ones from Argos. These basically hang on a screw head on a tin plate similar to what you would  find on a picture frame . They need cleaned twice a day to stop dust building up and pulling them of the wall, pure and utter crap.

They are pretty good for a pile of sawdust and glue, wrapped in fablon. As these are over 6 foot long they also have 4 conventional shelf brackets on each of the shelves so I can sleep easily that whatever family put on them they won't come down before the whole wall does

36 minutes ago, daiking said:

I take it back, THAT is ugly as sin.

FFS! It's yet to be sanded, have a chamfer routed on the edge and a couple of coats of yacht varnish. Give us a chance! :)

Edited by Onoff