YELLOW ALKATHENE GAS PIPE

Arnold9801

Advice please... I have a Calor tank where the feed pipe splits with a T joint. I need one of the two off- feed pipes terminated and was hoping there is a butt fitting that can be used to do this. Ive had had two engineers around this week to give me a quote and they were both uncertain and felt the only option was to heat weld a fitting on the one of the two pipes that needs terminating.

They did mention the exact name of the heat device to do this, though I forget what it’s called. One did say there maybe an easier way of sealing the end without this electrical heating device. 

Could anyone advise me if me if there is a cheaper alternative to terminating the pipe and sealing it using the heat weld device as hiring

it would be quite expensive. 

adnold9801

It’s a “fusion weld” fitting that you want ( need ). 
If it was me, I’d not fit anything else, especially on higher pressure ( if LPG ? ). The last thing you want is a tank of gas gone to an undetected leak.
No short cuts with gas in my world sorry. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

12 hours ago, Arnold9801 said:

Advice please... I have a Calor tank where the feed pipe splits with a T joint. I need one of the two off- feed pipes terminated and was hoping there is a butt fitting that can be used to do this. Ive had had two engineers around this week to give me a quote and they were both uncertain and felt the only option was to heat weld a fitting on the one of the two pipes that needs terminating.

They did mention the exact name of the heat device to do this, though I forget what it’s called. One did say there maybe an easier way of sealing the end without this electrical heating device. 

Could anyone advise me if me if there is a cheaper alternative to terminating the pipe and sealing it using the heat weld device as hiring

it would be quite expensive. 

adnold9801

Not sure what size pipe you use, but as a very quick search:

https://www.bes.co.uk/25-mm-end-cap-yellow-mdpe-philmac-16074/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwiYL3BRDVARIsAF9E4Gd8ja3UKQHm0s4h9UrGSCJTPVOQZlx-Ne9dG78OiTNqkiKX1cJLgIcaAnT1EALw_wcB

As @Nickfromwales said - certain installations require different rules.

Also depends on where the join needs to be - pre or post regulators, above or below ground etc as the rules for LPG are different. You need a GSR engineer with a ticket for LPG to work on this.

• Thanks 1