New Concrete Breaker - Not always vibrating? Knack to using it?

tombo8383

Hi, 

Rather a strange question. I have purchased a new semi professional concrete breaker as i have around 20m2 of concrete slab to break up (120mm thick approx). I have used a similar one before and had the same issue. 

When i press the trigger and drop the sharp pointed breaker onto the concrete it sort of vibrates softly for a few seconds and then sporadically bursts into life giving the full breaking effect. It sort of goes between being very fierce and effective and the just whirring, with the max vibrating going on and off. I'm trying to work out how the tool actually works, whether its a weight that rotates inside or something. 

I know there is nothing wrong with the machine itself, but i need to know the knack to using it. 

Are there any tips to getting it to do the heavy breaking all the time such as picking it up and dropping it down constantly? exhausting but that is the only way i've managed to get it to work so far. 

Seems a daft question to ask, but i'm sure there must be a knack to using it correctly.

I've attached a picture of what I'm using.  

Cheers

Tom

Demolition-Breaker-A.jpg

1 hour ago, tombo8383 said:

Hi, 

Rather a strange question. I have purchased a new semi professional concrete breaker as i have around 20m2 of concrete slab to break up (120mm thick approx). I have used a similar one before and had the same issue. 

When i press the trigger and drop the sharp pointed breaker onto the concrete it sort of vibrates softly for a few seconds and then sporadically bursts into life giving the full breaking effect. It sort of goes between being very fierce and effective and the just whirring, with the max vibrating going on and off. I'm trying to work out how the tool actually works, whether its a weight that rotates inside or something. 

I know there is nothing wrong with the machine itself, but i need to know the knack to using it. 

Are there any tips to getting it to do the heavy breaking all the time such as picking it up and dropping it down constantly? exhausting but that is the only way i've managed to get it to work so far. 

Seems a daft question to ask, but i'm sure there must be a knack to using it correctly.

I've attached a picture of what I'm using.  

Cheers

Tom

Demolition-Breaker-A.jpg

Lean on it harder, if not loaded they don't always hammer. The mechanism needs to be "returned" so that it can hammer again, so no opposing force then no hammer action. The mechanisms are packed with grease so when nice and new and tight they can be a little reluctant.

I have removed the factory grease before now and repacked with a high quality grease with a little EP90/120 oil in with it, works a treat. 

Edited by Carrerahill

Also make sure that the chisel bit end And housing is clean and well greased, often they are not cleaned and get clogged up with dry grease and dust which effects performance. Drop the bit out tip the machine upside down and spray loads of wd40 Into the hole, give it a good scrub with an old toothbrush, tip it back up the right way and spray / flush it out with more wd40. Re grease and off you go. I’m sure there are other ways but when your in the field of battle this is my pit stop solution that had always worked. 

The tool is brand new so no chance of any debris or dirt in there. Perhaps the change of grease might help. I’ll also try leaning a little harder on it.

Funny thing to try to explain, as it’s definitely the resetting and reciting that’s not happening every time. Explains why it works if I drop it into the concrete. 

thanks for your advice 

8 hours ago, tombo8383 said:

The tool is brand new so no chance of any debris or dirt in there. Perhaps the change of grease might help. I’ll also try leaning a little harder on it.

Funny thing to try to explain, as it’s definitely the resetting and reciting that’s not happening every time. Explains why it works if I drop it into the concrete. 

thanks for your advice 

Because the tool *is* brand new, don't assume the steel is a good fit or lubricated...

• Like 1