Recommended pointing style

Danzka

Hi everyone, I’m wondering whether to finish my brick slips (called Old Water Mill) in bucket or recessed pointing.  They are an old style and very irregularly shaped (see pic), what style would lend itself best to these bricks?

Many thanks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Danzka
Added tags

Hi everyone, just seeking advice on what pointing style would be best suited to Olde Water Mill style brick slips?  They’re quite irregularly shaped, see pics...

I’m thinking of either recessed or bucket, leaning towards recessed, but have read that is best suited to more modern sharper shaped bricks???

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think colour is going to be more important than style; that's what you'll notice until you're up close.  Does it have to match anything? You might also want to consider what sand is used - I've used sharp sand to blend in with existing old pointing in the past.

13 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

I think colour is going to be more important than style; that's what you'll notice until you're up close.  Does it have to match anything? You might also want to consider what sand is used - I've used sharp sand to blend in with existing old pointing in the past.

Thanks for responding, this is a feature wall as part of the living/kitchen/dining area - so it will be real up-and-close as the island is about 1m from it...

image.jpg

43 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

Could recessed not be difficult with brick slips as less brick for the mortar to key on?

The brick slips are 20mm thick and would do a 5mm recess, other companies sell 15mm brick slips so there should still be enough...?

If it is internal then I’d be inclined to use a decent coloured grout and very carefully point them. It is a messy job anyway and you’ve got kitchen appliances and doors to avoid. I would be removing all the doors and taping and sheeting up very carefully. 

4 minutes ago, Danzka said:

The brick slips are 20mm thick and would do a 5mm recess, other companies sell 15mm brick slips so there should still be enough...?

Unless your parties are particularly wild the mortar won't have to withstand much 'weather' so I'd expect you've plenty of depth there

Edited by MortarThePoint

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If it is internal then I’d be inclined to use a decent coloured grout and very carefully point them. It is a messy job anyway and you’ve got kitchen appliances and doors to avoid. I would be removing all the doors and taping and sheeting up very carefully. 

Yes, I am, just not sure which pointing style to go for...what do you think would work/look best?  I’ve heard recessed highlights the bricks more?

4 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

A light brush when it's near set then a sponge to rub it smooth and fill in any cracks. Will look more old and rugged like the bricks.

That actually covers another query I had thanks Declan52, how best to finish it?  How do you reliably tell when it’s near set? Just poke a test bit you have set aside from the mix?

12 hours ago, Temp said:

Our bricks are similar and we went for bucket handle although a 1" dowel was actually used.

Got any spares bricks you can experiment with?

Unfortunately no, good idea though...  did you have any trouble with the irregular shape of them?

9 minutes ago, Danzka said:

That actually covers another query I had thanks Declan52, how best to finish it?  How do you reliably tell when it’s near set? Just poke a test bit you have set aside from the mix?

It will say on the back of the grout bag how long you have to work with it. How warm the room is will also effect it. Should be dry to touch but not set. Wouldn't go bucket handle as that is just jointed up like standard bricks would be finished.

Sponge would look like this.

I'm going for an old brick wall look that has nice modern units with it. 

Screenshot_2020-05-17-12-17-51-302_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3430711852e4797582b8bcb8ef4da9ce.jpg

1 minute ago, tonyshouse said:

Bucket handle is the most weatherproof so I would go for that - it is quick, secret is don’t touch it with a brush til powdery or it will smear 

This is inside the house so weatherproofing is not an issue, see pic.  Is it correct that recessed highlights the bricks more than bucket?

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

It will say on the back of the grout bag how long you have to work with it. How warm the room is will also effect it. Should be dry to touch but not set. Wouldn't go bucket handle as that is just jointed up like standard bricks would be finished.

Sponge would look like this.

Screenshot_2020-05-17-12-17-51-302_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.3430711852e4797582b8bcb8ef4da9ce.jpg

Yes, I get 60 minutes.  That’s looks nice, so the brushing kind of recesses it a bit and the sponging smoothes out the brush marks - is that the idea?

5 minutes ago, Danzka said:

Yes, I get 60 minutes.  That’s looks nice, so the brushing kind of recesses it a bit and the sponging smoothes out the brush marks - is that the idea?

Yeah the brush will take off any rough bits and the sponge leaves it nice and smooth. Similar to finishing off ordinary tiles.

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Yeah the brush will take off any rough bits and the sponge leaves it nice and smooth. Similar to finishing off ordinary tiles.

I like it, saves me buying a chariot and negotiating around all the odd shaped bricks as a bonus.  I like the idea of recessed, but all the odd shaped bricks make me wonder if it works work or not. Thanks for taking the time to lend me your experience @Declan52, appreciate it.