Connecting to a BioPure digester: solvent or silicone?

ToughButterCup

Nearly there with the Trans Lancastrian Poo Project. Not far off connecting up (about 4 meters).  Heres the connection hole

20200513_124437.thumb.jpg.5df1e52a1df9b45b6da827396d05d3e8.jpg

I rang the manufacturer to ask how I should connect up. I was suprised to hear that it's OK to use silicone.

Whassa hive opinion? Silcone or solvent weld?

Just now, AnonymousBosch said:

I think I might have some CT1 : is it that super sticky and smeary as the proverbial stuff - grey?

Heathen..!!!

Grey with terracotta pipe..???!!! What kind of dress sense do you have..??!!

Any CT1 to be honest is fine, but watch for getting it inside the pipe unless you can reach down the pipe and clean it off.. May be worth adding a stub to the tank that you can then use a "normal" connector on to. Baby wipes and Multisolve are your friend here.

• Thanks 1

You can't pressure test the very last connection (unless you can crawl down inside the treatment plant somehow to plug the input pipe) . And in any event when I phone BC to say I was making the final 2 metre connection from the (already tested) drain run to the treatment plant they were not interested.

BC were not interested in any of the pipework coming out of the treatment plant.

I am surprised that is the connection they give you, my Conder treatment plant has a proper push fit connection at input and output with sealing ring, just use lube.

Does that thick grey bit come off?  if so it looks like you would be presented with a normal bit of drain pipe to put a proper fitting onto.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You can't pressure test the very last connection (unless you can crawl down inside the treatment plant somehow to plug the input pipe) ...

Yes, I can do that. Send Debbie in the tank. Easy. 

(No, really, it's an easy reach into the tank.)

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can you test it ..?? Drain plugs and a pressure test in the bath ..??

What a bloody good idea. Top suggestion!  Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does that thick grey bit come off?  if so it looks like you would be presented with a normal bit of drain pipe to put a proper fitting onto.

No, it's solvent welded in. 

That fracture that you can see (above)  at 7 o'clock relative to the pipe concerns me a bit. I think I'll carefully file that flat to the circumference.

@AnonymousBosch

Ian, 

whatever you decide to use for the connection I'd recommend from personal experience that you use a long length of pipe as your final pipe into the tank rather than a short stub. The reason is that the backfill around your Biopure won't be as well compacted as your main drain trench base. You don't want any localised settlement right under a joint in your incoming sewer pipe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ian said:

I'd recommend from personal experience that you use a long length of pipe as your final pipe into the tank rather than a short stub.

Thanks so much..... Cant fault the logic behind your point.

Just thinking about that very thing as I jumped ( well, stumbled)  out of the trench a minute ago. Its only 1.5 meters from the final I/C to the digester - just checked the fall from the I/C to the tank and its exactly 1.4 degrees - bob on.

I feel a cunning plan coming on.