Invoice from a dissolved company

So my self build had taken quite a while and since the kitchen was supplied the firm has since gone bust. At the time I was chasing them for the invoice but they never provided it and as they’re no longer operating so can’t contact them to get a copy.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or have any advice on what I could do to either get a copy of the invoice or be able to provide sufficient evidence to HMRC to still be able to reclaim the VAT for the purchase.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards 

George

I will tag along as I am in the same boat.

I have a quotation from a now disolved company and an email saying it was paid.  I will submit that with my VAT claim but it won't surprise me if it is rejected.  Not a lot else I can do.

38 minutes ago, PeterW said:

First question would be how did you pay..?

Then the next is do you have a quotation from them..?

Paid via bank transfer I believe or credit card was one of those two would have to check.

Yes still have the quotation email I believe 

3 hours ago, Gdodson said:

So my self build had taken quite a while and since the kitchen was supplied the firm has since gone bust. At the time I was chasing them for the invoice but they never provided it and as they’re no longer operating so can’t contact them to get a copy.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or have any advice on what I could do to either get a copy of the invoice or be able to provide sufficient evidence to HMRC to still be able to reclaim the VAT for the purchase.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards 

George

I would do a search on companies house beta and find out what exactly has happened or is happening to the company.

3 hours ago, Gdodson said:

Interesting.... I’m assuming I’d have to get a hold of their VAT number to be able to do this 

You can do that via the HMRC helpline 0300 200 3700

There Vat status is what I would be checking 

Many companies are not vat registered Unfortunately any claim without a valid vat number won’t be paid 

The upside is if they have charged vat you can claim it back 

On 30/04/2020 at 23:53, nod said:

There Vat status is what I would be checking 

Many companies are not vat registered Unfortunately any claim without a valid vat number won’t be paid 

The upside is if they have charged vat you can claim it back 

Yeah definitely charged me vat just trying to find a VAT invoice from them.

On 30/04/2020 at 21:17, Temp said:

Do you have a quote and bank statement showing you paid same amount? I'd try that if you can't get an invoice.

Yeah I have both of these just trying to find out if this will be ok

When I came to do mine I couldn't find a reciept for our kitchen units but I had a near identical invoice which they sent me when we ordered the kitchen. I sent that to HMRV and it wasn't questioned but I don't know if they actually noticed the difference or not.