Weld joint issues

Pocster

Hmmmmm , I thought this joint would be the easy one !

As you can see I can get pretty close to a line up .

47315C76-5A15-4264-8B2F-B376C5E46688.thumb.jpeg.28bde19175d7cd590340d65ff0463d8b.jpeg

4AE87B23-A436-4BAC-A78F-6FF6EEFE3B4E.thumb.jpeg.f3337f85abc31b86349f11773479cc44.jpeg

But there’s no way I can insert / glue as I go - just not enough play .

Taking @MikeSharp01 idea is this concept acceptable ? . Obviously I’d cut a longer overlay section . This then avoids the problem of pushing joint into joint .

C0F318BE-AA6E-43F5-ABE9-344C0BD5D798.thumb.jpeg.62abf44312ae8e47f53e5df96483d6dd.jpeg

D2B2A181-0AC6-43AB-A0EF-A43E669919D6.thumb.jpeg.59b407b9d80ee50160074cce3e42ad81.jpeg

I’ve actually got a coupler I could cut to do this. Not sure it would be flexible enough to go around the pipe . Could cut a ‘chunk’ out of it to make it fit , even glue the cut bit back in aswell .

This all a big no no ??!?

Just now, scottishjohn said:

looks like a job for the tigerseal -plenty of time to mess about 

Ok yes ! Wouldn’t attempt with floplas ! . Tiger seal is in transit to me . This acceptable though ? - struggling to find another way to do it 

4 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

if you wan to test it -so your happy join a couple of bits leave  a couple of hours  or overnight and try to split them - and just push them half way in -and see the grip you get 

I will . As you say it’s having the confidence in the joint as not used tiger seal before . Flow plas I trust 100% because you only have to wait 30 seconds ?

Am I missing something?

What you want is a slip coupling in that straight section, so you assemble the two ends then join together with a slip coupling.  I would use a push fit slip (not even sure you can get a solvent weld slip coupling)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pocster said:

Taking @MikeSharp01 idea is this concept acceptable ? . Obviously I’d cut a longer overlay section .

You wold need to make a section that filled the piston ring cut otherwise you would have a hole. My idea was really to seal around the face of joint if there was a leak though a previous glue job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Am I missing something?

What you want is a slip coupling in that straight section, so you assemble the two ends then join together with a slip coupling.  I would use a push fit slip (not even sure you can get a solvent weld slip coupling)

Probably I’m missing something !

So a slip coupling slides over one pipe and then slides down over the join ?

Not heard of one because of course they don’t exist in weld world .

Is a weld not better in these circumstances even if it’s a cut ?

8 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

You wold need to make a section that filled the piston ring cut otherwise you would have a hole. My idea was really to seal around the face of joint if there was a leak though a previous glue job.

Yeah I know . I just took inspiration ( madness ) from your suggestion ?

Yes that is the coupling.  Chamfer BOTH ends of the pipe really well, use plenty of lubricant, slide the slip coupling onto one pipe all the way over, offer the 2 pipes up and then slide it back.  Don't forget to mark the pipe so you know how far to slide it back.

And just to say it again a really good chamfer and plenty of lube.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes that is the coupling.  Chamfer BOTH ends of the pipe really well, use plenty of lubricant, slide the slip coupling onto one pipe all the way over, offer the 2 pipes up and then slide it back.  Don't forget to mark the pipe so you know how far to slide it back.

And just to say it again a really good chamfer and plenty of lube.

The only thing that worries me is that as the pipes don’t line up precisely then will not go into the coupler dead straight . The coupler will be the point at which the pipes ‘bend’ as it were . Does a coupler allow for this ? I.e a certain degree of non straightness for the pipes entering ? ( basically no leak )

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

not saying don,t use a coupler,probably fine  --but if worried about seal -use that along with tigerseal when it comes maybe?

Yeah . Could do . Slide push fit coupler up . Tiger seal both pipe ends . Then coupler down . Belts n braces approach preferred ! ??

Edited by pocster

Not pretty but done.

Not confident - getting the slip coupler fully across is impossible no matter how chamfered and lube.

I will leave it a few days to dry . Then I’ll run water down that pan . If that’s ok I’ll block the drain and fill the entire pipe .

If it fails I’ll cut the coupler out and weld it - easier to position , no sliding !!

It was a good workout though !! 

443A341F-F630-4415-A734-4C5158FFE52A.jpeg

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

Not pretty but done.

Not confident - getting the slip coupler fully across is impossible no matter how chamfered and lube.

I will leave it a few days to dry . Then I’ll run water down that pan . If that’s ok I’ll block the drain and fill the entire pipe .

If it fails I’ll cut the coupler out and weld it - easier to position , no sliding !!

It was a good workout though !! 

443A341F-F630-4415-A734-4C5158FFE52A.jpeg

Is there no support on the RHS as the vertical take a bend to the horizontal? 

If not, I would get one on to the bend as it changes or the force and weight of the water will probably eventually push that joint down.

Edited by Carrerahill

9 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Is there no support on the RHS as the vertical take a bend to the horizontal? 

If not, I would get one on to the bend as it changes or the force and weight of the water will probably eventually push that joint down.

Yeah I already planned to add a joint later 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

hope you cleaned all the silicone gel off before using the tigerseal --if it leaks it will be because the surface was not clean ,notihng else

that stuff sticks like sxxt to a blanket

Yeah . It was tricky ! I need lube to get it on but also need it dry for the tiger seal . Hence why I’m not convinced in this situation it will work .

Soon find out . Otherwise a weld as it requires no lube , no sliding , definitely easier . No biggie to cut it out if no good - worth a shot . 

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Yeah . It was tricky ! I need lube to get it on but also need it dry for the tiger seal . Hence why I’m not convinced in this situation it will work .

Soon find out . Otherwise a weld as it requires no lube , no sliding , definitely easier . No biggie to cut it out if no good - worth a shot . 

I would have jusat used the tigerseal as the lubricant and sealer all in one go -not just applied a bead to outer edge as you seem to have done

as long as it works 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

I would have jusat used the tigerseal as the lubricant and sealer all in one go -not just applied a bead to outer edge as you seem to have done

as long as it works 

Maybe . It is a push fit coupler so in theory needs no gluing . I needed the lube to get that bugger on !