Bathroom electrIc radiator

When I look at these in a show room admittedly not wired in to use - but the wiring seems to go straight into the wall .

My electrician has asked for a flex outlet plate . Is this the standard way to have these wired ? . Would be nice to have no visible cable if possible....

Just now, pocster said:

When I look at these in a show room admittedly not wired in to use - but the wiring seems to go straight into the wall .

My electrician has asked for a flex outlet plate . Is this the standard way to have these wired ? . Would be nice to have no visible cable if possible....

Normal way to wire these would be via either a flex outlet plate (if the supplying circuit is suitably protected for the rating of the flex) or via a fused connection unit (FCU). 

The latter has the advantage that it can be fused to protect the flex that is supplying the heater.  For example, we have heated towel rails that are both wired with FCUs, with the fuses being 3 A, as the heating elements are only around 150 W, and the flex to the towel rails is 0.75mm² heat resistant cable, rated at 6 A.  The 3 A fuse in the FCU provides adequate protection for the 6 A rated flex.  The FCUs are supplied from the upstairs ring final, via a wall mounted time switch outside the bathroom.  The ring final is protected at 32 A, way more than the rating of the flex to the towel rails, hence the need for the additional protection offered by the fuse in the FCU.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Normal way to wire these would be via either a flex outlet plate (if the supplying circuit is suitably protected for the rating of the flex) or via a fused connection unit (FCU). 

The latter has the advantage that it can be fused to protect the flex that is supplying the heater.  For example, we have heated towel rails that are both wired with FCUs, with the fuses being 3 A, as the heating elements are only around 150 W, and the flex to the towel rails is 0.75mm² heat resistant cable, rated at 6 A.  The 3 A fuse in the FCU provides adequate protection for the 6 A rated flex.  The FCUs are supplied from the upstairs ring final, via a wall mounted time switch outside the bathroom.  The ring final is protected at 32 A, way more than the rating of the flex to the towel rails, hence the need for the additional protection offered by the fuse in the FCU.

But a FCU has a switch ; assume that’s not allowed in a bathroom ??? - or have I got it wrong ?

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

But a FCU has a switch ; assume that’s not allowed in a bathroom ??? - or have I got it wrong ?

No, you can get non-switched FCUs, with a flex outlet (it's hidden under the lower edge in this photo):

image.png.6226468d57687d08c9ab96ce02d3dbae.png

That one has an indicator, handy for a heater as you can see when it's on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

No, you can get non-switched FCUs, with a flex outlet (it's hidden under the lower edge in this photo):

image.png.6226468d57687d08c9ab96ce02d3dbae.png

That one has an indicator, handy for a heater as you can see when it's on.

Ok ! I’m confused ! -  dumb question for sure but how does the towel rail cable get into that ?

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ok ! I’m confused ! -  dumb question for sure but how does the towel rail cable get into that ?

There's a flex outlet under the lower edge, usually with a small plastic blanking plug that needs to be removed to feed the cable out, plus there is a cable grip at the rear to secure the flex.

Here's a link to the full description: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CB4828slash3.html

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

There's a flex outlet under the lower edge, usually with a small plastic blanking plug that needs to be removed to feed the cable out, plus there is a cable grip at the rear to secure the flex.

Here's a link to the full description: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CB4828slash3.html

Ahhhhh ! Are all non switched FCU’s like that ? 

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ahhhhh ! Are all non switched FCU’s like that ? 

Some are, and some aren't.  You need to pick one that specifically mentions that it has a flex outlet.  I prefer the ones that have this flex outlet at the bottom edge, but you can get them with the flex outlet coming out the front, like this one: 

image.png.aeceb17ed497127769315c6903f1e1d1.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Some are, and some aren't.  You need to pick one that specifically mentions that it has a flex outlet.  I prefer the ones that have this flex outlet at the bottom edge, but you can get them with the flex outlet coming out the front, like this one: 

image.png.aeceb17ed497127769315c6903f1e1d1.png

Yep - I’ve googled the correct thing now ! Thanks @Jeremy Harris ; I am now looking at the right thing ! ??

Edited by pocster

FCU = Fused connection Unit.

SFCU = Switched, Fused Connection Unit.

If the towel rail is too close to a bath or shower it's normal to just have a Flex Outlet Plate in the bathroom and a switch outside the bathroom to control it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of these fused spur timers on the wall outside the bathroom doors.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST77.html

I have these on the electric towel rails.

https://www.geyser.co.uk/terma-moa-chrome-thermostatic-element-for-radiator-or-towel-rail

You can hide the wiring with these.

https://www.geyser.co.uk/geyser-chrome-cable-masking-cover-for-sim-elements

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I have one of these fused spur timers on the wall outside the bathroom doors.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFST77.html

I have these on the electric towel rails.

https://www.geyser.co.uk/terma-moa-chrome-thermostatic-element-for-radiator-or-towel-rail

You can hide the wiring with these.

https://www.geyser.co.uk/geyser-chrome-cable-masking-cover-for-sim-elements

So a cable straight through the wall is ok ? I think it looks neater than a plate in the bathroom 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks @PeterStarck

Tell me is the display on the  Supply Master Fused Spur Time Switch (called Easy View in the advert) back-lit? I find it incredibly difficult to see some of those small LCD displays when there's not much ambient light. Need a ...?

Yes it is, according to the manual:

image.png.4f3cf1930ce0f58f8a203be75e90e5b3.png

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, pocster said:

So a cable straight through the wall is ok ? I think it looks neater than a plate in the bathroom 

I'd put it in a bit of 20mm pvc conduit. Always a good idea especially if a cavity where it can get wet, chewed or damaged by debris. Have it point slightly downhill if ending up external. Similarly it can allow gas/fumes from the cavity into the room. Just good practice anyway for mechanical protection, cavity or not.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Thanks @PeterStarck

Tell me is the display on the  Supply Master Fused Spur Time Switch (called Easy View in the advert) back-lit? I find it incredibly difficult to see some of those small LCD displays when there's not much ambient light. Need a ...?

This is mine in a well lit room without flash. Mine are a few years old now.

Timeguard.thumb.JPG.50b7e6e565d6d32895b044f5ba4295df.JPG

• Like 2