Recommendations for a QS

Firsttimer

15 hours ago, nod said:

Your local builders merchants will do you a bill of quantity for around £200 

Just hand them your drawings 

There are online services (www.estimators-online.com) as well, which i am looking to use, come in a bit cheaper for a house (£180 inc VAT)

20 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

There are online services (www.estimators-online.com) as well, which i am looking to use, come in a bit cheaper for a house (£180 inc VAT)

200 ish

Its easy to do it yourself 

29 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I would be interested to know other than basing to on the m2 rules of thumb.

A house is very easy to estimate

Only a case of counting up 

and m2 also 

Id very little over But mist things can be returned to the supplier for a refund 

If you get a QS in they often round things up knowing that 

On 03/02/2020 at 19:57, Thedreamer said:

What are you wanting the QS to do?

I've done some rough costing myself. But there are still a lot of unknowns- groundwork, roof etc.

Am hoping the QS can give me estimates for Labour and not just materials. Is this something that a QS would do ? 

3 hours ago, Firsttimer said:

I've done some rough costing myself. But there are still a lot of unknowns- groundwork, roof etc.

Am hoping the QS can give me estimates for Labour and not just materials. Is this something that a QS would do ? 

Yes.

The biggest unknown is typically your foundations. I had trial hole dug and was then able to work out how much concrete was going to be required.

I produced a list of the materials and our QS did a review of this for £180 and then wrote to the building society confirming that the build costs were feasible within my budget. Really it was his qualification and PI insurance that I was paying for.

A QS can do quite a lot but it can get expensive if you hire them to do everything. They can...

* Estimate total build cost.

* Check and adjust builders quotes so they are based on same assumptions/place holders otherwise they can't be compared. One of our builders allowed too much for steels and accepted QS figures.

* Value work done to ensure builder is entitled to a stage payment and perhaps what that payment should be.  Ours pointed out we should retain 5% of stage payment until snagging was done.

* Check cost of changes you may want is reasonable, agree amended total price. Possibly argue for you if there is a dissagrement with the builder.

Overall we found our QS better value than the Architect during the construction phase but now I have done a house I know quite a bit more than I did at the outset.

• 7 months later...