Ground level query

Jefflate

I’m building a barn (which I have pp for) the problem is that the ground isn’t level so one side is higher than the other. A neighbour has complained that it is not what was specified in the plans. Intergoogle suggests that I should use the nearest property to the build and the level of their ground as my marker to work off. Any ideas if this is correct? 

6 minutes ago, Jefflate said:

A neighbour has complained that it is not what was specified in the plans.

ask them how they think it’s different?, we’re there any height specifications? Did your plans show any levels  around the build regarding your land?. ( I.e. dug into a bank or made up ground to make it level) I would imagine that planning would be the ones to specify your height in relation to neighbours and it would have been specified in the planning approval if it exists.

Normally your planning drawings would specify site and building levels and the datum they are referenced to.  In our case there was no obvious calibrated datum to work to, so I created a temporary bench mark and referenced all levels to that.

3 hours ago, Jefflate said:

I’m building a barn (which I have pp for) the problem is that the ground isn’t level so one side is higher than the other. A neighbour has complained that it is not what was specified in the plans. Intergoogle suggests that I should use the nearest property to the build and the level of their ground as my marker to work off. Any ideas if this is correct? 

Normally there should be a level on your drawing  Perhaps your neighbours Damp course 

Stating 00 Yours to match your neighbours Or a measurement above that 

In my experience when something new is built There is always someone that will tell you it is to high or in the wrong place 

I would tell him that you have had it looked at and all is as it should be 

4 hours ago, Jefflate said:

Intergoogle suggests that I should use the nearest property to the build and the level of their ground as my marker to work off. Any ideas if this is correct? 

Never heard that and we didn't. We had a site survey done which included about 20 spot heights  (above sea level I think).

Ultimately right or wrong is determined by what is specified in your planning drawings. However if these are vague you are probably ok. If it is not possible to identify either the ground level or finished height from the drawings then i can't see how the council can take enforcement action. 

How much does the ground slope?

Not directly relevant but... In the rules on permitted development (eg for extensions and outbuildings) max heights are measured from the highest ground adjacent to the building. 

Edited by Temp

For a new build, and perhaps for a conversion, levels are normally referenced as metres (often to two or three decimal places) AOD, Above Ordnance Datum (which happens to be a line on the harbour wall at Newlyn, Cornwall for most of the UK).  Often there will be a local datum mark somewhere nearby, maybe a benchmark carved into an older building or church (looks like a broad arrow with a line above) or may be a spot height nail that happens to be visible (we had one hammered into the lane outside our entrance for a time, left over from a detailed survey and marked as a spot height on OS maps). 

The normal process would be for the initial site topographical survey to have heights referenced to Ordnance Datum by prominent features around the plot, often boundaries, trees, power or 'phone poles etc.  The height of the building on the approved plans should be references to the same Ordnance Datum ideally (just makes checking and laying out a bit easier) but it may possibly be referenced to some other local datum.  We put a local temporary datum in the corner of our plot, where it wouldn't be disturbed, from which was could reference everything in all three dimensions whilst laying everything out.

In our case we had an issue getting planning consent for a two storey house, so ended up building a 1 1/2 storey house, with an imposed condition limiting the maximum height of the roof ridge (it's clearly marked as not to exceed 90.60m AOD).  There was an anonymous complaint made to the planners that our house had been built too high, and was not compliant with our planning consent.  I checked it, and thought that it was, if anything, a bit lower than we were allowed, but the planning enforcement chap insisted on visiting.  I borrowed a Total Station for his visit and set it up over the spot height nail in the lane, and proved to him that our ridge height was around 80mm below the approved maximum.  He was happy enough with that, and said he had more issues with people complaining about the height and size of houses being built than anything else.  He and I chatted for a while and were of the same opinion - most people just aren't very good at reading planning drawings properly.

Often there will be an elevation showing a neighbouring building and the proposed building. so it can be easy to compare eaves, ridge, thresholds etc.

If not and there are no heights specified on plan, just make the heights above the ground level is the same as per the elevation drawings.

Did the neighbour complain to you or to the planners?