Tomorrow's World visited "Tomorrow's Home" in the year 2020

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Amazing just how much we knew we needed to do, not that 30 years ago was that long.

Shame that the truth is that we now have more gadgets and don't really bother to understand the simple and very basic systems we have.

Yes apart from some new builds having a few solar panels and a bit more insulation Not to much have changed 

I love the touch glass though 

Perhaps to expensive to be mainstream 

To be fair, pads-not-plugs thing was the only prediction from Howard that he actually got wrong. While I totally agree his forecast of futuristic zoned smart heating should have been completely redundant by now, sadly it stands as a very accurate prediction of what what, today, is generally considered state of the art home heating design in the UK.

Edited by joth

Indeed yes, sad as it is, they were surprisingly prescient in NOT making any prediction that homes would have high levels of insulation & airtightness in 2020.

The aerogel thing made me laugh. Just like the so much contemporary thinking on climate change, it was all "futuristic high tech materials will save us!", when in fact most of us use recycled newspaper  and expanded polystyrene.  The materials have existed for decades, what makes the crucial difference is actually bloodywell using them.

• Thanks 1

I think there has been  very significant progress since then. IIRC correctly the 2013 building regs provide a major reduction in energy usage over 1990.

2013 over 2005 was a reduction of half in the energy use of newbuilds. What is the EPC no of an unupdated 1990 build?

But 80%+ of the current housing stock was built pre-1990. And that is the elephant in the room.

And there is  the issue of Building Regs not being met in newbuilds.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1