Council haven't done anything about valuation/banding for council tax.

BC is signed off as are planning conditions and presumably they know this.

Is the ball in there court or is it my responsibility to chase this?

I'm not trying to avoid paying but not inclined to do boring admin if it's their job.

My anxiety is they belatedly get around to it and then bill us for ages in hindsight. Can they do this?

36 minutes ago, Stewpot said:

Ah, but Council Tax doesn't depend upon whether anybody is living there or not, just whether it's habitable.

But if they have not visited and to prove it was habitable? Sign off by building control does not prove it was habitable!

Actually it looks like I need a council tax bill or certificate to send off with the CIL  self build exemption form, so I'm actually going to need to push for this.

Groans  have   to   ring   the    council  again..

We moved in (pre completion certificate) but council did not do the council tax visit until much later. They came, sent us a banding letter (which in hindsight I wish I had appealed) and said ok now we will send you a council tax bill from next month. No backdating and I’m not sure how they could have decided when the house was considered habitable for council tax purposes. If it had been backdated I would have been annoyed but I probably would have paid up. 

1 hour ago, dnoble said:

Actually it looks like I need a council tax bill or certificate to send off with the CIL  self build exemption form, so I'm actually going to need to push for this.

You have 6 months from the date of the completion certificate to send the CIL form so you do have a bit of time. Do you have a self build mortgage or a warranty because the only other proof you can send out of that set of 3 is the approved VAT claim form and you are completely dependent on HMRC where that is concerned. 

1 hour ago, colin7777 said:

How do they calculate the council band that the property falls in as I understand current tax bands are based on property prices many years ago.

They pick one that they know is way above what your neighbours are paying and leave you to appeal if you want it altered! 

• Like 1