D shaped toilet seats.

ProDave

We have two "back to wall" toilets, both came with D shaped seats to match.

Now just about every toilet seat I have ever seen, has a lid the same size as or very slightly smaller than the seat. And the seat is normally just a little bit larger than the pan.

Not so with our 2 toilets.  The lid wraps around the edge of the seat all round, and the lid is made to be exactly the same size and shape as the pan.  This means with the lid up,  the seat is slightly smaller than the pan and you can see a strip of porcelain.  The management have decreed this is unacceptable.

A couple of days ago SWMBO  came home with a replacement D shaped seat.  And upon unpacking it, I find it is EXACTLY the same size with the wrap around lid, so if I fitted it, it would have the same "problem"

So the question to those that have fitted many more toilet seats than me, is this wrap around lid a feature of D shaped seats or will I, if I look hard enough, find one that meets the requirements of seat slightly larger than pan, and lid same size as seat?

As far as I can tell there is no standard size for loo seats. Even the width between hinge points seems to vary.

We have a similar D shape back to the wall pan and when I replaced the seat last time I fitted a regular oval shape wood seat and lid. Doesn't look to bad.

The one we have is 440mm deep by 360mm wide.  So to get the seat to equal the size of the pan I guess we are looking for 450mm deep by 380mm wide.

It is surprising how many I have looked at on line that don't even mention the size.

Or to put it another way, I want the SEAT to be 440mm deep by 360mm wide, if the lid must wrap over then the overall size will be bigger.  They seem to quote the overall size which in the case of a wrap over lid, is just plain silly.

I’m supplying evidence not opinions on this thread. I have 2 of these loos, and 2 spares seats, which are from Screwfix, and are listed on my bathroom refurb blogs with the model.

I can confirm that D-shape high rise supplementary loo seats do not seem to exist; they are lozenge shaped. So bear that in mind for your dotage.

So let the reader decide.

508628DC-3763-4E21-8A97-220E7745356A.thumb.jpeg.c4594989658ac261c59463d0f99bb4a7.jpeg25AC49CF-EBA7-4546-B1CC-306F2EA46A03.thumb.jpeg.82b1bdba0eb824843e26e46b5928301d.jpegDD12170E-9636-4717-A6FE-0BC2589BAC72.thumb.jpeg.10c225b762bfb8c547988f5b72dfca99.jpegC79D0B20-33C6-4DBF-A165-7B44C4EC8943.thumb.jpeg.671752f1cb6813b20eb9f07185223183.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

@Ferdinand  What is the width and depth of the SEAT in those pictured?

Screwfix were one that does not seem to quote the size on their website.  Why would anyone want trivial information like that?

where are you looking @ProDave as they list the side to side width on all of them ..? It’s in Spec

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

@Ferdinand  What is the width and depth of the SEAT in those pictured?

Screwfix were one that does not seem to quote the size on their website.  Why would anyone want trivial information like that?

No details on the spare box, and not clear where you are measuring from .. So piccies below.

83AA10B2-3F26-43DD-888A-C725BCA20BDA.thumb.jpeg.91fd81dde0dd8510e223015161cd1230.jpegACABF467-316C-4E06-9FED-06CECBABBC65.thumb.jpeg.2eb5a976f627c5fa979435cf84d974ef.jpeg 

The loo model, seat and codes are in the sheet below, so you could order one and then return in 14 days.

costs-and-components.jpg

Never thought about the issue...until now! Don't think I could have even said whether the lid covered the seat etc without having looked. It does and the seat is smaller than the pan:

2019-05-30_05-21-01

I'm going to be conscious of my visible rim from now on!

IMG-20190528-WA0002

My solution would probably be to assert that it is indecent to be able to see the seat, that covering the porcelain is pandering to not claening properly, and that the lid should be kept down in all civilised environments, and that therefore the alleged problem is completely absent, and that I am going fishing instead.

Ockham lives.

William_of_Ockham.png

(If Mr Dave turns up on my doorstep splintered rod in hand demanding Diplomatic Asylum in my shed, I will know that it did not work.)

Edited by Ferdinand

Surely if the seat is the width of the pan then if you go for the same style of "lid covers seat", the lid will be wider than the pan and overhang?

Options available where the lid is the same width as the pan. I think where lid covers seat is more hygienic.

Is this an indicator that you're at the end of the build, that SWMBO can now worry about trivial stuff like this? ?

8 hours ago, Temp said:

That's a contender, the first D shaped one I have seen that does not have the silly wrap over lid.  The price is an issue, we paid less than that for the pan (with a seat)

54 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Surely if the seat is the width of the pan then if you go for the same style of "lid covers seat", the lid will be wider than the pan and overhang?

Options available where the lid is the same width as the pan. I think where lid covers seat is more hygienic.

Is this an indicator that you're at the end of the build, that SWMBO can now worry about trivial stuff like this? ?

This "issue" appears to be the wrap over lid.  Someone decided it would "look nice" and would "look nicer" if the wrap over lid was exactly the same size as the pan.  This forces the seat area to be smaller than the pan.  A case of appearance being more important than function.

I am not bothered by this wrap over lid nonsense.  The one @Temp linked to above is the first D shaped one I have yet seen that does not have the wrap around lid.  So now the search is on for another one like that at a sensible price.

Oh the choices we have to make to get a self build "just right"

The magic search word to avoid a wrap over lid appears to be "slim"

With that new found knowledge a quick search on ebay finds this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-D-Shape-Slim-Toilet-Seat-with-Mute-Soft-Close-Seat-Cover-Quick-Release/323964824352?epid=27035068818&hash=item4b6dceeb20:g:zeUAAOSwYSFduoZ8

I will order one and see.  The seat is 36cm wide, I would like 37cm, but it is an improvement over the present one that is only 34.5 cm seat width.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Never thought about the issue...until now! Don't think I could have even said whether the lid covered the seat etc without having looked. It does and the seat is smaller than the pan:

I'm going to be conscious of my visible rim from now on!

IMG-20190528-WA0002

Note to other buildhubbers. do NOT let your OH see this thread or you too will be looking for a new seat.

Funny how it was not noticed immediately, this pan and lid has been in use for 18 months.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Note to other buildhubbers. do NOT let your OH see this thread or you too will be looking for a new seat.

Funny how it was not noticed immediately, this pan and lid has been in use for 18 months.

Sounds like she needs a hobby!

33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This "issue" appears to be the wrap over lid.  Someone decided it would "look nice" and would "look nicer" if the wrap over lid was exactly the same size as the pan.  This forces the seat area to be smaller than the pan.  A case of appearance being more important than function.

We have the same situation with our toilets. I noticed it when I fitted the seats, but didn't see it as a problem because unless in use the lid is always down. I don't understand how the overall function of the toilet is impaired.