Inside our loft space - some questions

We finally gained access to our limited loft space and have two initial questions.

1. We found loads of rolls of this green stuff. We can’t reach them. Does anyone know what they may be?

2. The black lining that runs under the roof - what is it’s purpose? It’s also come away in a couple of places.

More questions are bound to follow.

9AF4A800-7329-4C07-871A-B5C494BC35BC.jpeg

D664FDB8-6893-4D09-A1CD-93B8CE210ADB.jpeg

Green rolls...no idea.

That black stuff coming away is roofing felt - see the string reinforcing in it? It's your second line of defence against wind and rain getting under the tiles. It can get torn from below or just wasn't done right in the first place.

I've the same issue. Birds and vermin can get in my spaces in the old roof above the felt and below the tiles. Look for a firm bulge and push, often it'll be a nest and you'll hear a disgruntled squeak!

My main problem areas are either side of the badly detailed dormer cheeks and where an old chimney was removed.

The green rolls...look to have been dumped up there with the pir offcuts so suggests modern materials. Have you a modern extension on the house anywhere? Some sort of breather membrane or building paper maybe, don't think it's roofing felt or insulation looking at one of the ends.....

Be good if you could clear it out tbh.

2 minutes ago, Home Farm said:

Given the quality of work in some of the finishes, I’ll put it down to poor workmanship.

If we get inside the loft, can we just tack down where it has come away?

I'd see if it'll push back into place maybe hold it up with some roof and gutter type mastic from a sealant gun.

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

The green rolls...look to have been dumped up there with the pir offcuts so suggests modern materials. Have you a modern extension on the house anywhere? Some sort of breather membrane or building paper maybe, don't think it's roofing felt or insulation looking at one of the ends.....

Be good if you could clear it out tbh.

Every new “hidden” space in the house we discover has had crap dumped in it. There aren’t any modern extensions. It’s all old buildings. We need to make a better hatch opening to get in the limited loft space. Once we get in I can pull the green rolls and insulation off cuts out and address the felt. I hope it’s boarded up so we can get in.

Sign. Another project.

Perhaps weed suppression membrane?

When you create your loft hatch, remember to get a properly sealed one, and take care with the type of ladder.

I like these sort, but they are bloody heavy if you get them wrong and they open on your head.

loft-ladder-steps.jpg.540bf5179a09161f31a1a394ba35e569.jpg

F

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Do you have laminate floor anywhere, the green stuff looks like under lay for cheap flooring. 

No, we don’t. It’s a mystery until we get in there.

6 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Perhaps weed suppression membrane?

When you create your loft hatch, remember to get a properly sealed one, and take care with the type of ladder.

I like these sort, but they are bloody heavy if you get them wrong and they open on your head.

loft-ladder-steps.jpg.540bf5179a09161f31a1a394ba35e569.jpg

F

Not sure we’ll go that far F. No storage space in the loft, so we won’t be requiring regular access.

Might not apply to you if your ceiling joists are rough cut / irregular but I cut battened some squares of p5 chipboard to use as "stepping stones" in my loft. Loads of weird bits of plumbing and wiring etc and eventually there'll be no need for this area to be boarded anyway. Means I can "board" an area as a temporary working platform then move it.

20180512_214453

20180519_154748

I keep meaning to add some screws that'll just point down into the top of the joist. If you aren't careful and tread on one from the side it can scoot off underfoot like a skateboard!

Edited by Onoff