PVs - in-roof or on-roof?

Bored Shopper

We've been presented with two options for our PV array, in-roof and on-roof. The on-roof one requires additional 50 linear m of anti-bird protective net, which comes at exorbitant price. DH is more inclined towards in-roof solution, as the saving would be considerable. The concern with in-roof is any potential leaking around the installation, etc.

Any opinions on pros and cons, please, from any happy owners of in-roof and on-roof sets, please?

Many find inline systems more aesthetically pleasing.

Also if you're thinking of selling at some point, surveyors can mark down on-roof installs for the extra complexity in maintaining/replacing the tiles under the panels, which puts some buyers off. (Surveyors always advise the roof tiles will soon need replacing)

Assuming you're new-build, then in-roof.  Looks better, costs less.  If you go for a tried-and-tested system, leaking won't be a concern.  We've used Viridian Solar's in-roof stuff, but there are a number of people on here that have used different systems satisfactorily.

• 3 months later...
On 07/11/2019 at 12:49, Bored Shopper said:

We've been presented with two options for our PV array, in-roof and on-roof. The on-roof one requires additional 50 linear m of anti-bird protective net, which comes at exorbitant price. DH is more inclined towards in-roof solution, as the saving would be considerable. The concern with in-roof is any potential leaking around the installation, etc.

Any opinions on pros and cons, please, from any happy owners of in-roof and on-roof sets, please?

What this bird protection net? never heard of a net, hopes not like the nets on our local Sainsbury as I'm forever going in there to get that a bird is tangled in it.

4 minutes ago, Delicatedave said:

What this bird protection net? never heard of a net, hopes not like the nets on our local Sainsbury as I'm forever going in there to get that a bird is tangled in it.

It'semi-rigid netting to close off the narrow gap around the edges of on-roof PV arrays, to stop birds from roosting/nesting under the panels.  The reasons for stopping birds getting into this narrow gap are to prevent damage to the electrical connections under the panels, and to prevent old nests becoming a fire risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Is netting worth a retrofit?

I hate to think how much I would need. It could be 100m.

Might be, if you have a problem.  Pigeons seem to be the birds that cause the most problems, smaller birds roosting under the panels probably aren't a major issue.  The cost isn't so much the netting, as the installation, as it usually needs scaffolding or at least a scaffold tower to get up there and work safely.

I second/third the in-roof option - we are a 3 storey house and no problem so far, except...... the flashing wasnt properly installed so within a matter of weeks it was flapping about in the wind and had to be replaced. Of course this happened AFTER the scaffolding was taken down ?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Might be, if you have a problem.  Pigeons seem to be the birds that cause the most problems, smaller birds roosting under the panels probably aren't a major issue.  The cost isn't so much the netting, as the installation, as it usually needs scaffolding or at least a scaffold tower to get up there and work safely.

Suspect my local pigeons are too fat to fit.

Does anyone know if the in-roof systems can be used with metal/zinc roofs? I've done a search but can't find much in the Uk. 

Also what sort fo pricing are these systems? My current quote for a 4K system is around £1500 plus about a days work for the electrician and mounts/clamps.

1 minute ago, gc100 said:

Does anyone know if the in-roof systems can be used with metal/zinc roofs? I've done a search but can't find much in the Uk. 

Also what sort fo pricing are these systems? My current quote for a 4K system is around £1500 plus about a days work for the electrician and mounts/clamps.

Where are you getting that quote from? I've had four back for supply and install of a 4kW system ranging from £3995 to 7 grand! 

35 minutes ago, eandg said:

Where are you getting that quote from? I've had four back for supply and install of a 4kW system ranging from £3995 to 7 grand! 

I local electrical supplier in Norwich. Its not for installation just the parts.