pocster

Lagging Hep2o

Recommended Posts

Probably  a stupid question.

But should I lag the hot pipes?. No pipes in the entire build go through a cold space i.e. they are all within the insulated build.

The hot pipes (due to so many of them) do cross over cold pipes - so not sure if that's an issue.

 

Thanks in advance as usual!

Edited by pocster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes.

Really ? Even though the hot pipes enter no cold space ( loft etc ) ???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will not make a huge difference but the hot water will take a bit longer to reach the tap, the house will be a bit hotter inside in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least make sure you insulate the pipework between the boiler and cylinder.

 

Quite annoying in the summer having a room heat up because the plumber was too lazy to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

At least make sure you insulate the pipework between the boiler and cylinder.

 

Quite annoying in the summer having a room heat up because the plumber was too lazy to do this.

The hot water comes from a uvc . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, pocster said:

Probably  a stupid question.   But should I lag the hot pipes?. [...]

 

Stoopid? No, it was me that is (well, used to be) . I assumed there was no need . Who's the eejit now then, eh?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need as a minimum all the primary pipe work within the vicinity of the UVC lagging, it’s a BRegs/Part G requirement. 
 

Not difficult to do tbh and shouldn’t take long. 
 

Use Climaflex from Screwfix, and tape all the joints with 3M Electrical tape. 
 

AF1F0402-E13F-41F9-A782-955A4B40DBB6.thumb.jpeg.a5d9c6bfc44739888d4d8ac75b7c23bb.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You will need as a minimum all the primary pipe work within the vicinity of the UVC lagging, it’s a BRegs/Part G requirement. 
 

Not difficult to do tbh and shouldn’t take long. 
 

Use Climaflex from Screwfix, and tape all the joints with 3M Electrical tape. 
 

AF1F0402-E13F-41F9-A782-955A4B40DBB6.thumb.jpeg.a5d9c6bfc44739888d4d8ac75b7c23bb.jpeg

Transmission received and understood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can also help reduce/remove heat transfer from hot to cold if they are running close together. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok . Individual hot pipes not an issue .

But where they all cross is going to be a pain - photo 2

Rather than try and do each hot individually can I cheat a bit here and wrap the whole lot ( hot and cold ) in some foil backed insulation I have lying around - photo 1

542F4299-5690-4226-BDD8-63F0B2376412.jpeg

4D012C89-285F-4FA7-BBA1-87E8A7061F2F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't wrap the hot with the cold; there's nothing worse (for me at least!) as getting like warm water out of a 'cold' tap! (Admittedly that's a First World problem if ever I've heard one...) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

I wouldn't wrap the hot with the cold; there's nothing worse (for me at least!) as getting like warm water out of a 'cold' tap! (Admittedly that's a First World problem if ever I've heard one...) 

Fair point . I’ll semi cheat and wrap all the hots together !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weaving sheet insulation in like that may well work perfectly - insulating both hot and cold at the same time but on different sides! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note to self .

lag pipes as you go not after they have all been installed .

D15C3F08-D426-4DCB-ADA9-85A2D05DDEB4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pocster said:

Note to self .

lag pipes as you go not after they have all been installed .

D15C3F08-D426-4DCB-ADA9-85A2D05DDEB4.jpeg

 

Not quite the look that @PeterW goes for...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

 

Not quite the look that @PeterW goes for...

😐 It was a bit of a mare to get 19 pipes to all play nicely . Functionality over form . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coincidentally @PeterW just messaged me privately and said it looked beautiful 😎😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pocster said:

Coincidentally @PeterW just messaged me privately and said it looked beautiful 😎😎


It would be a b-word... but not that one ... 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterW said:


It would be a b-word... but not that one ... 😂

Oh what ‘b’ word ? 😂

At the end of the day it’s not detrimental to performance etc. - so neat or not achieves  the same job . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pocster said:

Oh what ‘b’ word ?

 

"begging" to be covered by a suspended ceiling? 😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually that's got to be a "bitch" doing it on your own?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a criticism but I'm guessing you didn't use a decoiler? Pipe having it's own natural lay etc (like cable).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not a criticism but I'm guessing you didn't use a decoiler? Pipe having it's own natural lay etc (like cable).

Nope - didn’t even know there was such a thing . So 100m of pipe when unrolled wants to roll back up . Was a dog to ‘fight’ against . But as I said apart from looking pretty ( and you won’t see it once the false ceiling is in ) I didn’t see any point in making it look nice .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now