TF wall section orientation.

zoothorn

Hi chaps- I came back yesterday to find 4 piles of timber frame sections, roof trusses etc all ready for my extention (groundwork done). No-one on site today..

Most wall sections are rectangular. Q: which is typical of construction.. sections orientated in 'portrait' joined together, or sections in 'landscape' joined together?

IE 3 sections in portrait, would look ~roughly~ like this: [][][]

Thanks zoot.

Just now, dpmiller said:

there's generally drawings supplied to confirm placement and orientation of panels, exact base measurements etc. They'd need to be done as part of the structural design surely?

Yes there will have been comms between the TF Co & my builder (whether that means supplied drawings I don't know).. but this is wales, & this is being built the "unusual" route, via a Build Notice = no supplied drawings to me/ a "I don't need to know" situation. No communication (valley hills prevent mob signal 90% of time).

@PeterW I'm trying to establish what height my two rooms will be (from measuring the wall sections).. ridiculous I know, but there we go. My builder's already taken the reins re. my depth/ oversaw this, so I'm naturally extremely wary about anything else he might have overseen re dims. We discussed thoughrally about the 'mystery' +350mm added to the lower room, & agreed it will be added here, but after the 'mystery/ mistake' I'm extremely wary about the super-critical H of both rooms.. & naturally my confidence is shaken.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The team doing the erection will have the drawings.  The panel heights will be about the same as the room heights.  The widths can vary. 

This is what I assumed. But if I have a series of rectangles, & it can vary re. construction orientation according to dpmiller, I cannot establish if -in this case-  either room height will be 2.4m or 1.88m. These two figures I measure consistantly in one pile (presumably one room), 2.1m I measure consistantly in t'other pile.

I was hoping it was "sections always in portrait, joined together".. so I could then rest easy by way of one room being very likely 2.4m. The lower room. This is actually 10cm more than we discussed (& squeezes my top room H & squeezes the access door) into critically tight dimensions.

This build is -so- tight with regard to the two rooms sitting on each other, bc I don't have alot of height onto which the extention is to be built ylou see. I spent nearly 6 months on these 3 super-critical placements to get the figs I stipulated on my drawing.. the +350mm has SO scuppered both my design (& my confidence in what's gonna happen next you see) of the superceding two room Heights. We're talking 100mm critical, even 50mm critical.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Put the tape measure away.  You will see how it fits together when the frame is erected, which will only take a day or two.

Yes but if my builder's gone his way, or just forgot what I said/ we agreed either deliberately or genuinely forgotten (on a call, once I asked why the +350mm I couldn't get an answer to apart from "TF all measured up/ done" he assured me this extra 350mm would be added to the lower room.. but in words only/ nothing written) my confidence is about 10%: not in terms of the quality of work, but in terms simply of adhering to my heights.

The width is almost irrelevant, if 10cm less.. MEH. Height, in my lowish cottage, is utterly different. A room can be ruined if 10cm out. This is why I spent 6 months on these 3 dims. Ground floor. Ceiling/ dividing floor. Top room ceiling H. 6 months, 50mm critical. All shot in one afternoon's haste.. & I can't sleep properly as I don't know what's next/ & my work affected, as a direct result of it.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Panels are usually portrait, stop  worrying, what height did you specify for your rooms?, if it’s not what you specify the builder/frame erectors will have to put it right! Simples.

My heights figures have been thrown out the window Joe, totally n/a it seems anymore. "All done, all measured up". I cannot counter this from a builder 40yrs experience in his proud country where I'm one & don't know anyone (not a chance/ not worth it.. or all this kit will be left in the rain for week upon week). And now all wall panels/ whole kits sitting in the front gdn waiting for 3 days rain to soak it, not a word of when it might be done let alone wtf heights my rooms, therefore the dividing floor, the knock thru door, overall roof H, & therefore my balcony height.. will actually end up being.

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

My heights figures have been thrown out the window Joe,

Excuse me but your the customer, you are paying a builder to build what you want, I don’t care what country your in or whether they are proud of it. If the panels are out in the wet chuck a tarp over them, simples!

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Excuse me but your the customer, you are paying a builder to build what you want, I don’t care what country your in or whether they are proud of it. If the panels are out in the wet chuck a tarp over them, simples!

Understand this.. but I guess I don't know yet what the room H are now established to be, or how/ if I could measure any sections staring at me to find out. Tarps.. honestly it like 3 or 4 huge tarps/ £100. I'll be angry if I see this lot sitting here still on friday with nothing having been done.. then I'll be forced to go buy them.

How rain resistant are TF inner courses anyway? there'll have been plenty of builds lashed with rain before the cladding /outer skin done to make it weatherproof. All roof tiles there too.. & last dry day just looking at it/ frustrating.

I've got pretty obviously my dividing floor/ ceiling right in front of me (200mm.. as I specified!). Does this get fitted in after both rooms' inner walls are made.. or after lower room? If after.. it could be just the thing I need to help.

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok so there's no problem if this lot is left until monday, with heavy showers/ rain for 4 days between? no urgency to tarp it all?

Is it OSB clad?  If it is, I think I'd probaby cover it, depending on the spec.

Orientation:  the intermediate studs will always be vertical, so it should be pretty clear which way up they go. 

First floor joists: mine sat on top of the ground floor walls.  The floor deck then went on, then first floor walls sat on top of the floor deck.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

You often get a locating plate or sole plate at the bottom of the panels and a head binder plate around the top.

Good idea I'll have a hunt. Thanks all. Apparantly TFrame put up monday/ tues now- builder's just been, 5mins, huge great tarp on.. but alot still exposed.

I Q'd him on room H. Lower one 2.2m.. top one 2.4m he said. The opposite to phone call t'other day (& this way preferred I said/ good etc.. oh well) & 'we can jiggle it about to suit' which is now n/a as all sections here. So you see I'm at the mercy of what flows with him.

Ok so thread done- thanks for help yet again chaps. Could be worse: this is the frame of mind I need to adopt.

I'll do a Zoot Extention GO! thread now, with progress/ pics/ less spiel & less stress (!.) now the H issue finally answered (if not ideal).. heck it might even get my mojo going.