rsj instalation best practice

idunknow

ooo 203x203x86 6 meters long best practice for shawing up existing building im finking about bying a brick brace set nock down wall support steel install padstone does this method sound ok

finaly my rsj is grey primerd shall i red oxide them cheers everyboddy your opinions have been invaluable thamks

IMG_2928.JPG

Are you going straight through the corner and out the front ..?? 

Has that been sized by an engineer as it’s very slim for something doing 5m of brickwork which I assume is 9” (otherwise it’s two side by side ..??)

yeh going through corner 203x203x86 12mm top plate x300 wide  the wall is solid bricks about 110mm wide with a cavity of about 60mm

yes structual engineer however i dont trust him either to many typos in calcalations looks like coppy and paste job

any who there is 9 acrows inside of house to hold up floor via joists

and what looks marvalous a brick brace for out side

thanks for your time

On 13/10/2019 at 14:12, idunknow said:

yes structual engineer however i dont trust him either to many typos in calcalations looks like coppy and paste job

so... if you don’t trust him, have you checked the calculations with someone else ..??

I have to say, looking at the plans you posted on the other thread, those steels seem to be less than I would expect to be used. You also need to ensure the supporting wall (7N to be rebuilt approx 1.5m from the end of that beam and perpendicular to it) will be integral to the strength of the beam. 

Assuming the welded flange in your first picture is the only pickup point for this beam and will be above a set of bifolds and this beam you’re installing is also talking the load of another coming in to it at the corner, I would suggest you may want to get a 2nd engineer to review this for peace of mind. 

I thought a brick brace was for new openings where you have brick work on both sides of the new opening, so in effect the brick brace is creating an arch effect. 

If you remove the corner you have nothing for the brick brace to work with, I would put steel needles through on that corner. 

I will try and find a pic. 

Ok I think it's time @idunknow For you to go and seek an alternative opinion on this issue. There has been a few posts already expressing some doubt in how you plan to do this task. 

Another input from a different structural engineer should be your next phone call. When you have this information then you will have a better idea of what your next step should be.

You have already expressed your mistrust of his calculations so please seek another opinion. 

If the new one backs up the initial version then great proceed but if it doesn't then you have maybe saved yourself from something major happening.