Design Help - Plumber not helping

DeeJunFan

Corrosion resistance is an issue with just using glycols, so usually additives are needed to prevent corrosion in any system with a mixture of metals.  In theory it shouldn't be a significant issue, as most heat pumps use a stainless PHE, and that's fine with copper pipework.  The other thing that would make me want to have a look in more detail is whether or not the flexible hoses and rubber seals are OK with just plain glycol. 

slight off topic but this may be a interest to some people on this topic. they have some other interesting thermal stores/buffer tanks for sale as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122413851641?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PS i have no connection to this company and have personally ruled out the above as i would like a stainless steel thermal store.

Hi Guys, 

Quick update.

Plumber #1 - Has gone fully dark.  Not a word 

Plumber #2 - has had my plans for 2 weeks and says there is quite a bit of work in getting a proposal done, will need another few days.  (I'm guessing that means he hasn't looked at them yet and doesn't want me bothering him for another week or 2)

Plumber #3 - Referred by a mate, sent me 1 text and hasn't responded to anything else.

Plumber #4 - Even my Da was getting pissed off so rang around hopefully meeting him some night this week (Hopefully)

Other than that i'm none the wiser, except to say i'm sure my quote when i eventually get one will reflect the couldn't give 2 shites attitude i've had so far from the local guys.

Thanks

Damian

Guest Alphonsox

It sounds like you are having exactly the same problem we had - there seems to be a big lack of plumbers in NI at the moment. We eventually got plumber #4 to turn up but I can't say I'm happy with the amount we are having to pay.

4 minutes ago, Alphonsox said:

It sounds like you are having exactly the same problem we had - there seems to be a big lack of plumbers in NI at the moment. We eventually got plumber #4 to turn up but I can't say I'm happy with the amount we are having to pay.

Same issue in Devon :(

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Would be a good trip though as I've never seen a hot press before !

The cupboard where we have all the spare beds clothes and towels etc should be the hot press.  But the problem is that we have a combi boiler, so no hot water tank and at the top of the cupboard (it's 3.6m high) is the MVHR and its manifolds, so in actual fact it's the coldest room in the house with the cold air from out side

So calling it a hot press just doesn't seem right....

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Right now I'm just about to secure work which will take me beyond June :S. What's your schedule ? PM or give me a buzz, you still got my mobile number ?

If @DeeJunFan delays by about 4 months (ever the optimist I am) you could swing up through co. down and do mine also!! :) 

1 hour ago, vfrdave said:

If @DeeJunFan delays by about 4 months (ever the optimist I am) you could swing up through co. down and do mine also!! :) 

No, No, No. He needs to come to Devon first! I'm closer!

And.....my job comes with free 'Live In' accommodation. A nice cosy 1 bed flat above the garage.

And.............An outside toilet with hot and cold running water. (There is one inside the flat too :D)

And..........................An outside "doggy" shower. Thermostatically controlled.

Just saying.

Edited by Barney12

FWIW, I think the shortage of decent plumbers is pretty widespread.

I rang around when we were putting the schedule together and plumbers were the one trade that were fully booked up for months ahead (they were also the most expensive).  This was the main reason I ended up doing all the plumbing and heating system installation, and the reason I did things in what was (at that time) a slightly unusual way.  It's also the reason the majority of our plumbing is in plastic, as it was easier to DIY, with a lower risk of having a leak in an inaccessible location.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

FWIW, I think the shortage of decent plumbers is pretty widespread.

I rang around when we were putting the schedule together and plumbers were the one trade that were fully booked up for months ahead (they were also the most expensive).  This was the main reason I ended up doing all the plumbing and heating system installation, and the reason I did things in what was (at that time) a slightly unusual way.  It's also the reason the majority of our plumbing is in plastic, as it was easier to DIY, with a lower risk of having a leak in an inaccessible location.

Are you throwing your name in the hat for a trip to Sunny Northern Ireland? @JSHarris

Sadly I don't have time for another trip to NI in the near future, although my other half would leap at the opportunity to have another holiday there, I'm sure!

I used AutoCad to do all the house drawings and just added the main plumbing and heating system layouts as layers on the master drawings, so I could print off plans that focussed on just one system at a time.  I did the same with the electrical installation layout, the MVHR ducting and even the kitchen cabinets and the major items of furniture, which made planning where things could fit a fair bit easier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeJunFan said:

Just a quick question @Nickfromwales

in the small buffer, plate heat exchanger plan are you still talking about using the W Plan to deliver higher heat water from the ASHP to the UVC for DHW?

Thanks

Damian

So this is mine less the PHE which I don't need.

Buffer at 0.5Bar/atmospheric pressure.

Use a 3 channel timer - one for DHW, one for buffer and one for circ pump and the stat to control the valve to the buffer.

HP_SchemHyd.JPG.fc7b8a35135ad899fba7b655be6485e2.JPG

W-Plan modified to allow change over of the pipe stats needed to control the ASHP temp (47/35)

HP_SchemWrg.JPG.cc6cb65160cbc7516e03f6e0fa3fbab4.JPG

And last one with power/neutral removed for clarity

HP_SchemWrgNP.JPG.10cf6e2d3bfe84c4734a4958b7173eeb.JPG

• Like 1