Charges for obtaining BR approval

Vel810

Hi all,

very useful threads and information on this site for a novice like me. Many thanks guys and girls.

I am in the process of filing an application for BR approval.

My architect is charging £7k + VAT for the following:

Completing the plans and filing for BR

Structural engineer calculations

Constructions detail plans for the builders

Drainage, fire escape plans etc

helping with the tendering process and fixing a builder

I have a good rapport with him and am happy with his work so far. 

As I am new to this, just wanted a bit of advice as to whether this a reasonable charge. I am unable to do any of this on my own as I am a complete novice. 

Any help would be gratefully accepted. 

KR

Vel810

15 minutes ago, Vel810 said:

Hi all,

very useful threads and information on this site for a novice like me. Many thanks guys and girls.

I am in the process of filing an application for BR approval.

My architect is charging £7k + VAT for the following:

Completing the plans and filing for BR

Structural engineer calculations

Constructions detail plans for the builders

Drainage, fire escape plans etc

helping with the tendering process and fixing a builder

I have a good rapport with him and am happy with his work so far. 

As I am new to this, just wanted a bit of advice as to whether this a reasonable charge. I am unable to do any of this on my own as I am a complete novice. 

Any help would be gratefully accepted. 

KR   Him at exactly the same stage

My architect s charging 1800 plus vat for building regs working drawings etc

Ive paid my own submission charges £245 and £79

Structural engineer has drawn plans for  deep stepped foundations for house and two double garage

Plus calcs for five steels and all lintels £375 all in

\Hope this helps   Gary

15 minutes ago, Vel810 said:

Vel810

My architect wanted £15k for discharging planning conditions and detailed drawings for building regs submission.

When I pointed out that our TF supplier was doing the calcs etc for the frame and would provide their own drawings, they stuck to their guns, saying that it was a lot of work importing others drawings etc.

In the end, I did my own planning condition discharge (14 or so) and just sent the TF details to the BC along with the SE's design and calcs for the basement. Didn't use the architect any further in the process.

I appreciate that it's not that easy if you need detailed drawings for others to work from, but still sounds steep.

6 hours ago, Mikey_1980 said:

We paid £3k to our architect to discharge our planning conditions and liaise with our chosen Timber frame company to finalise the design, we didn't have a clue and it was money well spent in our eyes.

The finalising of the design is massive IMO. The TF company are good at what they do, but they aren't designers - it needs input from all parties pooling all their skills to make it right.

Can the detailed 'Construction drawings' not be used for BR approval as well? I am being quoted for both of these (Construction details and BR application plans) separately. is this usual practice?

Edited by Vel810

Thanks Tonyshouse. As I am being charged double, one plan for BR and another for Construction drawings.... I was just wondering that I commission one set of drawings, i.e Detailed Construction Drawings, and use it for BR approval as well, especially if the former is a more detailed plan? Is that ok?