Plan printing at A1 or A2 laminated - any business offer this?

(Not sure which section to ask this question)

I'm concerned I don't have a set of plans available on site for my soon to arrive trades.

But as it is now coming into autumn/winter printed plans will quickly become a soggy mess.

Anyone had their plans laminated at A2 size? Or got a better suggestion?

We had one A0 plan printed onto like a plastic coated paper which went on the wall in the office and then had it broken down into A3 detailed plans for which there were multiple copies. It meant that the A3 ones could be drawn on, the A1 was left as a "master" that was referred to when you needed an overall view. 

A1 was done by these people - think it was about £18 inc laminating http://www.studentprinting.co.uk/a1-colour-print-2-p.asp

• Like 1

I agree that A3 Is about as big as you want on site, Laminated would be a luxury, 

personally i would just leave them plain A3 and have an A3 scanner available, ( i think my A3 scanner printer was about £110)

Give everyone a copy and make sure it is clearly marked what edition they are. If you change something it will be fairly cheap and easy to run  a batch of the new editions off and burn the old copies so there is no confusion

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Laminated would be a luxury, 

personally i would just leave them plain A3 and have an A3 scanner available, ( i think my A3 scanner printer was about £110)

Luxury is relative and some economies are false !

For the record, A3 laminators start at about £20 and A3 pouches at about 20p, or less than half that if you catch an offer.

Get some wipeable markers for doodling on your plans, while you are at it. Or permanent ones if you are willing to sacrifice a 50p print/lamination in your discussion with your £10k architect.

So really it is cheap enough for you to do whatever you want.

Your £100k+ build budget will not be decimated.

You might even be able to afford an A3 ring binder, 4 hole punch and cellophane presentation bags without losing a bedroom. Don't skimp on the punch as a decent one will last 20 years. A decent 4 hole or 2 hole punch will have a capacity of 25+ sheets which should be double what you will need to do at once, and will cost £25+ (2 hole) to £40+ (4 hole).

But if you punch a laminated copy through teh drawing it will get wet.

:D

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 12:58, Sensus said:

Yes, any good print shop will do it for you, at a price.

Personally, we tend to try to format drawings on A3 where we can, these days, and bind them into 'booklets'. Cheap enough to replace if they do get soggy; cheaper to laminate if you choose to do so, and much easier to handle than larger format drawings when you're out on site while it's blowing a hooley and bucketing down. :)

Is there any easy way to reduce A1 to A3 and keep some sort of scaling?

4 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Is there any easy way to reduce A1 to A3 and keep some sort of scaling?

A1 to A3 is exactly 50% 

its easier if you mark key values on a plan anyway as then there is no ambiguity when a plan is scaled and printed. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

"If it works for your setup" covers many multitudes of sins.

Ferdinand

(who happens to have a 27" monitor, an A1 archive quality printer and an A1 trimmer in his study :-) )

You are not alone. I have a 27" monitor and an A1 printer too :)

that lovely noise as the cutter slides across and cuts the paper still makes me smile.

i know, I know.....get a life :) 

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Postage cost is £4.

Those will either come folded or the service will vanish as that us below cost imo.

On 09/10/2016 at 21:24, PeterW said:

Let us know how you got on please.  

In the meantime I've ordered an ebay A3 laminator and prints from  graphicsmaster@zoho.com

• 3 months later...
On 09/10/2016 at 21:24, PeterW said:

Just emailed this guy to see if he's still offering a good deal, got this from him...

Hello,

Email us the drawings to print-them@mail.com and tell us what size and how many copies.

£2 for A1 drawing and £4 for an A0.      All prices include postage. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, mikalscad said:

no point in printing  eveything is PDF now even  the councils  won't accept paper i think this  is a PR stunt
 "saving the rainforests i'll attach a couple of PDF examples of p terraced rebuild drawing and project management schedule

Our local authority wanted paper copies of all the plans and maps and HMRC insist on paper copies of them, together with the planning approval, when you submit your VAT claim form and receipts, so I don't think it's correct to say that plans can only be in PDF form.

In addition, our ground works team needed paper plans at large scale to use on site, as did our electrician, who needed printed copies of the internal floor plans with the wiring details on.  Additionally, the landscaping chap needed a large scale plan showing the details of things like the patio, pathways, drive fencing walls etc.

I think it's completely impractical to turn every drawing into a .pdf and expect all the people on site to be able to work from some sort of electronic device.  I found that A3 laminated, printed, plans were about the best size for site use, not too big as to be unwieldy, but big enough to be able to see and read the details OK.  Some drawings needed to be multiple printed A3 sheets, to show all the required details, like the electrical installation drawings.