Chalk as a temporary driveway material

LA3222

Random question - I had limestone brought in for my temporary driveway previously from a local quarry.  Asked for more of the same stuff and it's unavailable at the minute (not sure why) they said they can give me chalk aggregate instead and it will do the same job.  

One of my neighbours has just commented that it's horrible and goes everywhere when wet.  I've got a roller coming to whack it all down, is chalk ok to use or going to be an issue like my neighbour says?

TIA

It's a 2 inch load with no fines in it - after a good going over with a roller is it still the case that it will create a horrendous mess?  

I just rang the supplier and they seem convinced it will be fine?‍♂️

1 hour ago, mvincentd said:

Even undisturbed chalk will put a sludgy sticky mess under foot when wet, and will be an ice rink in deep winter.  I've had a chalk drive for 2 winters and am thrilled to have just gravelled it.

From the horses mouth 

Don’t do it 

Someone near here when digging his foundations dug out what looked a bit like a flakey dry slate like material and thought it would do for his long steep driveway.

As soon as it got wet, it turned to a horrible slippery slimey mush that made getting up the drive very messy and difficult.

I expect chalk would behave the same.

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Someone near here when digging his foundations dug out what looked a bit like a flakey dry slate like material and thought it would do for his long steep driveway.

As soon as it got wet, it turned to a horrible slippery slimey mush that made getting up the drive very messy and difficult.

I expect chalk would behave the same.

It does.

We live in an area of chalk downland, with several large chalk emblems carved in the escarpment overlooking our village (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fovant_Badges  ).  Chalk is used for building walls around here, as cob, and it behaves just like clay.  When wet, it turns into a very slimy mush.  It only works for chalk cob walls by being built just like any cob, with "good boots and a hat", so that the stone foundation stops water damage at the base and a thatched (or sometimes tiled) roof above keeps the rain off.

Somebody is trying to pull a fast one on you mate.

As somebody who worked on construction sites in chalky South Kent.... Don't even think about it. Limestone is the only option - try a different quarry.