Free standing stairs

Pocster

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Support only at top and bottom is normal.

Have a look at Howdens cheap straight flights.

Oh . I assumed it would need support along its length either from the floor or bolted to a wall . Will check howdens - cheers 

8 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Man up: build yer own.

A few yards of 9 by 2 for the stringers and whatever is lying round the site for the treads - spare sheets of glass will do. ?

Exactly what I did in my garage,

garage_stairs.thumb.jpg.1d83e0ac24db4714cb73129124da77ab.jpg

51 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

A few yards of 9 by 2 for the stringers and whatever is lying round the site for the treads - spare sheets of glass will do. ?

Yards..?? 9 by 2...??? Have you been building since the turn of the last century ..??! ?

You can build your own fairly easily - these were from leftover rafters and Egger board, and lasted for 14 months before being repurposed as cellar steps ..! 

9A78A2F9-7F9D-48EA-8D0E-B6E48C8C0827.thumb.jpeg.bfac464903f936e0e7933d3c9deb7e00.jpeg

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Man up: build yer own.

Did that . I need them movable though and free standing 

These are what i’ve Been using for 2 years . Now a bit rotted . SWMBO wants a ‘proper’ temporary staircase when we live on the build ?

Building a wooden one whilst cheap is a pita to move and fix . Mobile stairs make my life easier .

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, pocster said:

These are what i’ve Been using for 2 years . Now a bit rotted . SWMBO wants a ‘proper’ temporary staircase when we live on the build ?

Building a wooden one whilst cheap is a pita to move and fix . Mobile stairs make my life easier .

image.jpg

Can't beat a tidy site! :)

Just knock up in timber and add 6 lockable castors.

Basic structure is easy. I used I think 9"x2" for stringers and treads and knocked up a jig for repeatability, inletting the treads with a router. Treads were glued and screwed in from the side. I added three lengths of studding top, middle and bottom just as backup but it was likely uneccessary. Only got a short bit left off the flight I made.

SAM_5777

SAM_5780

SAM_5781

SAM_5778

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Can't beat a tidy site! :)

Just knock up in timber and add 6 lockable castors.

Basic structure is easy. I used I think 9"x2" for stringers and treads and knocked up a jig for repeatability, inletting the treads with a router. Treads were glued and screwed in from the side. I added three lengths of studding top, middle and bottom just as backup but it was likely uneccessary. Only got a short bit left off the flight I made.

SAM_5777

SAM_5780

SAM_5781

SAM_5778

Yeah I know . It’s just another thing to do on the infinite list of things to do !

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah I know . It’s just another thing to do on the infinite list of things to do !

I'm just beginning to understand the really deep meaning of the word infinity.

The trick is trying hard to remain positive about it : you know the sort of thing -  suffer from a bad dose of optimism bias.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I'm just beginning to understand the really deep meaning of the word infinity.

The trick is trying hard to remain positive about it : you know the sort of thing -  suffer from a bad dose of optimism bias.

?

oh i’m Positive 99% of the time . Probably end up due to cost reasons buying a pre made straight run then building a frame for it and casters like @Onoff suggested .

Just nice sometimes to spend the money and it’s just done !

Edited by pocster

On 27/08/2019 at 11:35, pocster said:

Hmmmm

This isn’t going to be as easy as I thought .

Stairs weigh 90kg - haven’t work out a safe way to get them underground.

I've found my Lidl chain hoists very useful for this sort of thing. Bit worried I haven't seen them on sale for quite a while, hope it wasn't too many liability claims.

• Like 1