I need plumbing help for my aquarium

ThelmaECorum

I was wondering if I could get some advice from expert plumbers here. I’m building a first fish tank which can contain about 100 gallons of water. I need to run a water pipe below it and also I would like to install an aquarium heater. Can I do it myself? I need  suggestions . Can anyone  suggest a method to maintain the ph level of water. I’ve another 30 gallon fish tank and last month I lost all the fishes. I think imbalance in the ph level would have  been the cause so this time  I need to avoid it. Can I connect both the fish tanks together with the same water pipe line? I’ve seen a website which provides several blogs related to plumbing but I need to hear from experienced  people here. Please help me guys...

I've used small aquarium heaters to keep duck and chicken water from freezing. That type are supplied prewired to a plug. You just plug them in and stick it to the side of the tank. I imagine similar plug and go heaters are available for larger systems but this probably isn't the best forum to ask.

Can I connect both the fish tanks together with the same water pipe line?

Not quite sure what you mean but I would be inclined to keep the water in the two systems totally separate so that any problem/bugs/PH issues in one don't spread to the other. Use separate cleaning tools for each tank, wash hands between working on each etc etc

Edited by Temp
spelling

5 hours ago, ThelmaECorum said:

Can I connect both the fish tanks together with the same water pipe line?

Can't tell if you are asking for plumbing or fish-keeping input. From a plumbing perspective of course you can, but for fish-keeping will depend on the purpose of the tanks e.g. one might need to be warmer than the other or used as a "quarantine" tank.

5 hours ago, ThelmaECorum said:

Can anyone  suggest a method to maintain the ph level of water. I’ve another 30 gallon fish tank and last month I lost all the fishes.

For fresh water fish pH seems an unlikely cause of loss. You need to ensure your filter media are properly generated before introducing any fish (this can take a few weeks) and also check for nitrates and nitrites on a regular basis, plus do your 20% water changes every 1-2 weeks.

pH can be very difficult to control or change if you are using tap water. It may be possible to buy pH controlled water, but once you start down that route you need to keep doing your water changes with the same stuff.

2 hours ago, Temp said:

I've used small aquarium heaters to keep duck and chicken water from freezing. That type are supplied prewired to a plug. You just plug them in and stick it to the side of the tank.

Suddenly this thread has got my interest. Can you get ones that actually submerge? Our chicken house is fed by an external plastic header tank (into a line of automatic feeder troughs). Its timber clad so I cant attach anything to the side. I installed it in the spring so its not suffered a winter yet and is highly likely to freeze :(

7 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Suddenly this thread has got my interest. Can you get ones that actually submerge? Our chicken house is fed by an external plastic header tank (into a line of automatic feeder troughs). Its timber clad so I cant attach anything to the side. I installed it in the spring so its not suffered a winter yet and is highly likely to freeze :(

All the ones I have ever used are completely submergable. Just search for aquarium heater. There usually quite cheap. 

BTW don't turn it on before you put it in the water. I accidentally left mine on out of the water for a while and it exploded when I put it back in. 

6 hours ago, ThelmaECorum said:

I was wondering if I could get some advice from expert plumbers here. I’m building a first fish tank which can contain about 100 gallons of water. I need to run a water pipe below it and also I would like to install an aquarium heater. Can I do it myself? I need  suggestions . Can anyone  suggest a method to maintain the ph level of water. I’ve another 30 gallon fish tank and last month I lost all the fishes. I think imbalance in the ph level would have  been the cause so this time  I need to avoid it. Can I connect both the fish tanks together with the same water pipe line? I’ve seen a website which provides several blogs ( http://www.brothersplumbing.ca/blog/ )related to plumbing but I need to hear from experienced  people here. Please help me guys...

I think we are going to need a more detailed description of what you want things to do. Are you after a constant drip feed into the tank or just a tap near the tank to fill it up. Either way you will need to condition the water before you add it to help remove the heavy metals. 

Do you live in a hard or soft water area? 

What at fish are you planning to keep?

what sort of filter system? E.g if useing a sump filter you can usually put the heater in that. 

I  have also read somewhere before you can adjust the tanks levels by adding rain water but I can't remember if this was PH or hardness. 

As someone said fish keeping forums are probably the place to ask. But I have been on a few in the past and I haven't found one to be overly welcoming yet. 

Also so are you useing uk or us gallons?

Edited by Construction Channel

Lyrics

Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spaaam!
Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spam.

Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.

Lovely Spaaam! (Lovely Spam!)
Lovely Spaaam!

Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaaaaam!

3 hours ago, Barney12 said:

My local garden centre sells several different types. Some can be installed fully submerged. Some say they should be fitted to the side of the tank with the top inch or so of the heater above the water line and the rest below. However even this latter type are pretty well sealed for safety reasons. There are also pond heaters that are designed to float - these aren't intended to heat the whole pond just keep a hole open in any ice that forms.

Some lower power heaters might survive drying out (eg water knocked over). The higher power ones probably not. 

Use an RCD. 

16 hours ago, daiking said:
Lyrics

Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spaaam!
Lovely Spaaam! Wonderful Spam.

Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.
Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am.

Lovely Spaaam!

Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaam, Spaaaaaam!

I doubt a plumbing firm in Toronto will get much business from us in fairness. 

43 minutes ago, ThelmaECorum said:

@Daiking How can you say this is  a spam?

Our 'policy' is not to allow commercial posting, links etc in new membership, so for your post to link to another site should really have been edited accordingly and one of us moderators would have PM'd you to explain why the action had been taken. ;) 

As it's a link to somewhere neutral, I, for one, have let it slide. If, for example, it was a link to an aquarium supplier, it would have been zapped almost instantly and you'd have been warned 'off air'. 

@daiking responded with song, as his recent home improvements have left him on the edge. 9_9 :D

49 minutes ago, ThelmaECorum said:

Thank you everyone for your replies..

Feel free to update the thread if you get some better 'fish-related' replies B|

Regards, Nick. 

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Our 'policy' is not to allow commercial posting, links etc in new membership, so for your post to link to another site should really have been edited accordingly and one of us moderators would have PM'd you to explain why the action had been taken. ;) 

As it's a link to somewhere neutral, I, for one, have let it slide.

xD didn't even see the link........and i even quoted it xD