Is there a minimal ceiling height

colin7777

Tried searching and couldn't find a post so hopefully the question has not been answered previously.

We are limited by the overall height of the building due to tight design rules enforced by the Broads Authority and would like to know if there is a minimal height a ceiling has to be to meet building regs.

I have seen reference to different heights but can not clarify if it is a requirement or just a guide, our bedrooms are down stairs and the ceiling height currently is planned to be 2200mm.

Looking forward to having this clarified.

Regards

Colin

The design guide is at least 2.3m for 75% of the gross internal floor area, I believe.  It's not in building regs, but somewhere else (I'm sure I've a copy somewhere as I needed it when designing or room-in-roof rooms).

Found it, it's in this document: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524531/160519_Nationally_Described_Space_Standard____Final_Web_version.pdf

Edited by JSHarris
Added link

29 minutes ago, colin7777 said:

Tried searching and couldn't find a post so hopefully the question has not been answered previously.

We are limited by the overall height of the building due to tight design rules enforced by the Broads Authority and would like to know if there is a minimal height a ceiling has to be to meet building regs.

I have seen reference to different heights but can not clarify if it is a requirement or just a guide, our bedrooms are down stairs and the ceiling height currently is planned to be 2200mm.

Regards

Colin

2200 is going to feel very low 

As JS pointed out 2300 is normally a minimum 2200 would limit you to downlighters  

Room size and property style will also influence minimum ceiling height. When aiming to reproduce a heritage cottage style property 2.2m might be ok. A low ceiling in a large room will also be more noticeable.

The default minimum is 2.4m on the ground floor for anything but budget low-cost homes and 2.3m or 2.2m upstairs. +2.6m starts to give a property an air of grandness.

Given a ridge height limit you can steal some extra ceiling height by specifying roof trusses with a raised horizontal joist which introduces a foot or so of sloping ceiling in the bedrooms.

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1

I think I would find 2200mm pretty darn oppressive and I'm not tall.

In a design guide for London I found this...

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/housing_standards_malp_for_publication_7_april_2016.pdf

The nationally described space standard sets a minimum ceiling height of 2.3 meters for at least 75% of the gross internal area of the dwelling. To address the unique heat island effect of London and the distinct density and flatted nature of most of its residential development, a minimum ceiling height of 2.5m for at least 75% of the gross internal area is strongly encouraged so that new housing is of adequate quality, especially in terms of light, ventilation and sense of space.

I wanted a lower ceiling for our small, spare bedroom. The reason being to maximise the space above it which is a mezanine floor accessed from the adjacent large bedroom.  I did a mock up and concluded 2300mm was as low as I would want to go, and that has worked out well as it just (for a short person) gives standing height on the mezanine.

9 hours ago, colin7777 said:

Regards

Colin

2 metres is the minimum in the Building Regulations but that would look too low in all but the smallest of rooms.

Edited by Ian

There is no minimum ceiling height except on stairs in building regs (they were recinded in mid 1970s), however for comfort one would probably need 2.2ish. Bear in mind many old cottages are much lower (c1.90 or even less). My barn conversion, which is a very large room will only have c 2, no way around it if I insulate floor to required levels, judicious decoration can help.

17 hours ago, colin7777 said:

Regards

Colin

What's your project/ design? If we know a bit more or if you have drawings, somebody might be able to spot a way to keep sensible 2.4m ceiling heights and still be within your planning constraints.