Why HVDC for the inter-country interconnect cables?

readiescards

Oops should have looked harder:

Why DC?

Viking Link would connect two High Voltage AC electricity systems separated by the North Sea using High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) 

HVDC allows efficient transportation of electricity over large distances and in particular for submarine applications. It is also highly controllable and brings operational benefits to both transmission systems.

from http://viking-link.com/your-questions/

I thought they used a DC interconnect between countries on different frequencies (50Hz / 60 Hz)  I would love to know how they convert the dc back to ac at the far end, that's one F big inverter?

Perhaps it also saves countries on the "same" frequency all being phased together? After all you can see the argument as to who is going to be the master to set the phase and frequency.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would love to know how they convert the dc back to ac at the far end, that's one F big inverter?

Yep pretty much ..! Various technologies that ranged from rotary inverters in the 70's to "active neutral point clamped converters" now that are used for stuff such as offshore wind farms.

Did some work on a project that was looking to include  HVDC a while back and the stuff they were talking about just blew my mind ! 

In a word: inductance.  Piping AC in a submarine cable has horrendous power losses.  DC doesn't; just the basic I²R.  All of the AC <-> DC is solid state these days.  The technology is amazing.

But even for long distance overland power distribution, HVDC is starting to have more net advantages.  

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

Advantages..

http://www.ustudy.in/node/3601

Lower losses.

HVDC can carry more power per conductor

No need for the ends to be in phase/synchronised so may improve system stability.

DC needs inverters to convert the AC to DC and back but these can also be used to provide better control over the amount of power flowing = Improved stability.

DC better for interconnects (eg point A to Point B only). AC better if you want to tap off at lots of sites along the way.

• Like 1