Blocks to 2.4m high before the facing bricks, gotchas?

epsilonGreedy

My facing bricks are due to arrive on-site the second week of August. A veteran builder has looked at my garage and advised that from a structural point of view it would be ok to build the inner block wall up to gutter height as the longest straight run is 5.2m

I now have the option of building the inner block wall of my single story garage up to wall plate height before the arrival of the facing bricks.

What problems might be encountered building a cavity wall in this sequence?

p.s. I won't forget the wall ties.

Ties may not be in line with joints perfectly but a tap down with a trowel sorts this. Never knock up, at worst give them a twist and put them in the perp if you have to. 

Are you insulating the cavity ..?

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Are you insulating the cavity ..?

Only one compartment of the out building which houses a store/workshop, this inner wall will be built off a block & beam floor. The inner wall I am talking about is for the non insulated garage portion of the outbuilding.

I have been watching a team of pro brickies at work next door and their process is to build up the facing brick wall to about 1.8m high between two corners, then they catch up with inner blocks fitting the cavity batts as the the inner wall goes up.

51 minutes ago, nod said:

If it was single skin like most garages There wouldn’t be problem 

The garage has a lean-to brick shed about the size of a 8' x 6' shed, this helps buttress one side of the inner block wall.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Vandalism, or wind can bring a block wall down 

prop them with scaffolding boards if it’s going to get windy. 

I would not contemplate this unusual build sequence over a whole winter, I am only considering leaving it standing as a single skin wall for two summer months.

The plot is very sheltered, so much so that the longer term problem we have is the village sits in a cold air cauldron surrounded by hills and the overnight temp typically drops 2 degrees below the BBC forecast.